Trade policies and trade mis-reporting in Myanmar
While the trade statistics of Myanmar show surpluses for 2007 through 2010, the corresponding statistics of trade partner countries indicate deficits. Such discrepancies in mirror trade statistics are analyzed in connection with the â€˜export-first and import-secondâ€™ policy provisioning import permissions on permission applicants possessing a sufficient amount of the export-tax-deducted export earnings. Under this policy, the recorded imports and exports of the private sector have been maintaining equilibrium, whereas discrepancies in the mirror statistics have fluctuated. This suggests that traders adjusted mis-reporting in accordance with the supply and demand of the export earnings.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 326. 2012.2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kudo, Toshihiro & Mieno, Fumiharu, 2007. "Trade, Foreign Investment and Myanmar's Economic Development during the Transition to an Open Economy," IDE Discussion Papers 116, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Javorcik, Beata S. & Narciso, Gaia, 2007.
"Differentiated products and evasion of import tariffs,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4123, The World Bank.
- Javorcik, Beata S. & Narciso, Gaia, 2008. "Differentiated products and evasion of import tariffs," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 208-222, December.
- Javorcik, Beata & Narciso, Gaia, 2008. "Differentiated Products and Evasion of Import Tariffs," CEPR Discussion Papers 6804, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yalta, A. Yasemin & Demir, Ishak, 2010. "The Extent of Trade Mis-Invoicing in Turkey: Did Post-1990 Policies Matter?," MPRA Paper 30186, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Masahiro Hori & Yu Ching Wong, 2008. "Efficiency Costs of Myanmarâ€™s Multiple Exchange Rate Regime," IMF Working Papers 08/199, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper326. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.