Can Mistargeting Destroy Social Capital and Stimulate Crime? Evidence from a Cash Transfer Program in Indonesia
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Lisa Cameron & Manisha Shah, 2014. "Can Mistargeting Destroy Social Capital and Stimulate Crime? Evidence from a Cash Transfer Program in Indonesia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(2), pages 381-415.
References listed on IDEAS
- David Coady & Margaret Grosh & John Hoddinott, 2004. "Targeting of Transfers in Developing Countries : Review of Lessons and Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14902, March.
- World Bank, 2006. "Making the New Indonesia Work for the Poor," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8172, The World Bank.
- Eckel, Catherine C & Grossman, Philip J, 1998. "Are Women Less Selfish Than Men? Evidence from Dictator Experiments," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 726-735, May.
- Muliadi Widjaja, 2013. "An Economic and Social Review on Indonesiaâ€™s Direct Cash Transfer Program to Poor Families in 2005," Working Papers in Economics and Business 201304, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Indonesia, revised Apr 2013.
- Demombynes, Gabriel & Ozler, Berk, 2005. "Crime and local inequality in South Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 265-292, April.
- Elbers, Chris & Fujii, Tomoki & Lanjouw, Peter & Ozler, Berk & Yin, Wesley, 2007.
"Poverty alleviation through geographic targeting: How much does disaggregation help?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 198-213, May.
- Elbers, Chris & Tomoki Fujii & Lanjouw, Peter & Ozler, Berk & Yin, Wesley, 2004. "Poverty alleviation through geographic targeting : how much does disaggregation help?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3419, The World Bank.
- Mary Kay Gugerty & Michael Kremer, 2000. "Outside Funding of Community Organizations: Benefiting or Displacing the Poor?," NBER Working Papers 7896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hastuti & Sudarno Sumarto & Nina Toyamah & Syaikhu Usman & Bambang Sulaksono & Sri Budiyati & Wenefrida Dwi Widyanti & Meuthia Rosfadhila & Hariyanti Sadaly & Sufiet Erlita & R. Justin Sodo & Sami Baz, 2006. "A Rapid Appraisal of The Implementation of the 2005 Direct Cash Transfer Program in Indonesia : A Case Study in Five Kabupaten/Kota," Development Economics Working Papers 22529, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- John Gibson & Bonggeun Kim, 2006. "Measurement Error and the Effect of Inequality on Experienced versus Reported Crime," Working Papers in Economics 06/05, University of Waikato.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alberto Alesina & Caterina Gennaioli & Stefania Lovo, 2019.
"Public Goods and Ethnic Diversity: Evidence from Deforestation in Indonesia,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 86(341), pages 32-66, January.
- Alberto Alesina & Caterina Gennaioli & Stefania Lovo, 2014. "Public Goods and Ethnic Diversity: Evidence from Deforestation in Indonesia," NBER Working Papers 20504, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Caterina Gennaioli & Stefania Lovo, 2015. "Public goods and ethnic diversity: evidence from deforestation in Indonesia," GRI Working Papers 166, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Alberto Alesina & Caterina Gennaioli & Stefania Lovo, 2016. "Public Goods and Ethnic Diversity: Evidence from Deforestation in Indonesia," Working Papers 80, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- Tohari, Achmad & Parsons, Christopher & Rammohan, Anu, 2017. "Targeting Poverty under Complementarities: Evidence from Indonesia's Unified Targeting System," IZA Discussion Papers 10968, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Bazzi, Samuel & Sumarto, Sudarno & Suryahadi, Asep, 2013. "It's All in the Timing:Household Expenditure and Labor Supply Responses to Unconditional Cash Transfers," MPRA Paper 57892, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 31 Nov 2013.
- Tohari, Achmad & Parsons, Christopher & Rammohan, Anu, 2017. "Does Information Empower the Poor? Evidence from Indonesia's Social Security Card," IZA Discussion Papers 11137, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Stoeffler, Quentin & Mills, Bradford & del Ninno, Carlo, 2016.
"Reaching the Poor: Cash Transfer Program Targeting in Cameroon,"
Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 244-263.
- Stoeffler, Quentin & Mills, Bradford & del Ninno, Carlo, 2015. "Reaching the Poor: Cash Transfer Program Targeting in Cameroon," 2015 AAEA & WAEA Joint Annual Meeting, July 26-28, San Francisco, California 205270, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Tohari, Achmad & Parsons, Christopher & Rammohan, Anu, 2019. "Targeting poverty under complementarities: Evidence from Indonesia's unified targeting system," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(C), pages 127-144.
- Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Kettlewell, Nathan & Schurer, Stefanie & Silburn, Sven, 2018. "The Effect of Quarantining Welfare on School Attendance in Indigenous Communities," IZA Discussion Papers 11514, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Zeballos, Eliana, 2018. "Destructive actions and productivity: Experimental evidence on interpersonal comparisons among dairy farmers in Bolivia," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 82-94.
- Attanasio, Orazio & Polania-Reyes, Sandra & Pellerano, Luca, 2015. "Building social capital: Conditional cash transfers and cooperation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 22-39.
More about this item
Keywordscash transfer programs; crime; mistargeting; social capital;
- O12 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O15 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-DEV-2012-07-29 (Development)
- NEP-SEA-2012-07-29 (South East Asia)
- NEP-SOC-2012-07-29 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6736. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Holger Hinte). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.