Entrepreneurship in Transition Economies: The Role of Institutions and Generational Change
The transition economies have lower rates of entrepreneurship than are observed in most developed and developing market economies. The difference is even more marked in the countries of the former Soviet Union than those of Central and Eastern Europe. We link these differences partly with the legacy of communist planning, which needs to be replaced with formal market-supporting institutions. But many of these developments have now taken place, yet entrepreneurial activity still remains low in many places. To analyse this longer term issue, we highlight the necessarily slow pace of development of new informal institutions and the corresponding social attitudes, notably rebuilding the generalised trust. We argue that changes are even slower in the former Soviet Union than Central and Eastern Europe because communist rule was much longer, leading to a lack of institutional memory. We posit that changes in informal institutions may be therefore delayed until after full generational change.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Maria Minniti (ed.) 2011, The Dynamics of Entrepreneurship: Evidence from Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Data, Oxford, pp.181-208|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simeon Djankov & Edward Miguel & Yingyi Qian & Gérard Roland & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2005.
"Who are Russia's Entrepreneurs?,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 587-597, 04/05.
- Lubomír Lízal & Jan Svejnar, 2002.
"Investment, Credit Rationing, And The Soft Budget Constraint: Evidence From Czech Panel Data,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 353-370, May.
- Lubomir Lizal & Jan Svejnar, 2001. "Investment, Credit Rationing and the Soft Budget Constraint: Evidence from Czech Panel Data," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 363, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Simon Johnson & John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2002.
"Property Rights and Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
8852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oecd, 2006. "The SME Financing Gap: Theory and Evidence," Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2006(2), pages 89-97.
- Toke S. Aidt, 2009.
"Corruption, institutions, and economic development,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 271-291, Summer.
- Thorsten Beck, 2004.
"The determinants of financing obstacles,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3204, The World Bank.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2003.
NBER Working Papers
9934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simeon Djankov & Peter Murrell, 2002.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-792, September.
- Djankov, Simeon & Murrell, Peter, 2002. "Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 3319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Minniti, Maria, 2005. "Entrepreneurship and network externalities," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 1-27, May.
- Magnus Henrekson, 2005.
"Entrepreneurship: a weak link in the welfare state?,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 14(3), pages 437-467, June.
- Henrekson, Magnus, 2002. "Entrepreneurship: A Weak Link in the Welfare State," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 518, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 04 Mar 2005.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2000. "The New Institutional Economics: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 595-613, September.
- Aidis, Ruta & Estrin, Saul & Mickiewicz, Tomasz, 2008.
"Institutions and entrepreneurship development in Russia: A comparative perspective,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 656-672, November.
- Saul Estrin & Ruta Aidis & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2007. "Institutions and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia: A Comparative Perspective," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp867, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ruta Aidis, & Saul Estrin & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2007. "Institutions and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia: A Comparative Perspective," Working Papers 79 Key Words: Entrepreneu, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- Ruta Aidis & Saul Estrin & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2007. "Institutions and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia:A Comparative Perspective," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 07-03, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1998.
"Interfirm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
132, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1999. "Interfirm Relationships And Informal Credit In Vietnam," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1285-1320, November.
- McMillan, John & Woodruff, Christopher, 1998. "Inter-Firm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam," CEPR Discussion Papers 2036, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Erik Hurst & Annamaria Lusardi, 2004. "Liquidity Constraints, Household Wealth, and Entrepreneurship," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(2), pages 319-347, April.
- M Belka & S Estrin & M Schaffer & I.J. Singh, 1995. "Enterprise Adjustment in Poland: Evidence from a Survey of 200 Private," CEP Discussion Papers dp0233, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
- Minniti, Maria & Lévesque, Moren, 2008. "Recent developments in the economics of entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 603-612, November.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2002. "Financial and legal constraints to firm growth - Does size matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2784, The World Bank.
- Bevan, Alan A. & Estrin, Saul, 2004. "The determinants of foreign direct investment into European transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 775-787, December.
- Sobel, Russell S., 2008.
"Testing Baumol: Institutional quality and the productivity of entrepreneurship,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 641-655, November.
- Russell S. Sobel, 2006. "Testing Baumol: Institutional Quality and the Productivity of Entrepreneurship," Working Papers 06-06 Classification-, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Paul Reynolds & Niels Bosma & Erkko Autio & Steve Hunt & Natalie De Bono & Isabel Servais & Paloma Lopez-Garcia & Nancy Chin, 2005. "Global Entrepreneurship Monitor: Data Collection Design and Implementation 1998–2003," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 205-231, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp4805. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.