Asabiyya: Re-Interpreting Value Change in Globalized Societies
This article reflects the renewed interest of economics and the social science discipline in value systems and religion. The World Values Survey provided a data framework of global value change, whose quantitative results led Barro (2004) to analyze the connections between some dimensions of recent sociological religious value research with economic growth. The present essay starts from this methodological position, and links value systems with economic performance in a much wider and macrosociological framework. We further develop the well-known Inglehart and Welzel (2003) map of global values, and develop the idea of "Asabiyya" ("social cohesion"), as a counter-model to both Barro and Inglehart and Welzel approaches. A frequently asked question is whether “modernization” without "spiritual values" in a globalized world economy and world society possible in the long run? Starting from principal component analysis, it is shown that rather two factors are decisive in understanding global value change: a continuum of "traditional versus secular", and a continuum "cheating versus active society". Asabiyya in the 21st Century, as a way out from the modernization trap of societies, characterized by large-scale social anomaly, is a high secularism combined with a high active society score, thus avoiding the "modernization trap". We show that economic growth in the current world crisis is far more connected with these dimensions. We conclude that not a society based on fear is needed in the first place, but an active society of volunteer social work.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:15:y:2005:i:4:p:1-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Heshmati Almas, 2006. "Measurement of a Multidimensional Index of Globalization," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-30, May.
- Katz, J. Sylvan, 2006. "Indicators for complex innovation systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 893-909, September.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2000.
"International Data on Educational Attainment Updates and Implications,"
NBER Working Papers
7911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J & Lee, Jong-Wha, 2001. "International Data on Educational Attainment: Updates and Implications," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 541-63, July.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2000. "International Data on Educational Attainment: Updates and Implications," CID Working Papers 42, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Daniele Archibugi & Alberto Coco, 2004.
"A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo),"
SPRU Working Paper Series
111, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Archibugi, Daniele & Coco, Alberto, 2004. "A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo)," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 629-654, April.
- Daniele Archibugi & Alberto Coco, 2004. "A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo)," CEIS Research Paper 44, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Francisco Arcelus & Gopalan Srinivasan & Basu Sharma, 2005. "Assessing the information content of the technology achievement index in the presence of the human development index," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(4), pages 1-5.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2003.
"In measuring aggregate"social efficiency","
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3166, The World Bank.
- J Sylvan Katz & Viv Cothey, 2006. "Web indicators for complex innovation systems," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(2), pages 85-95, August.
- Almas Heshmati & Arno Tausch & Chemen S. J. Bajalan, 2008.
"Measurement and Analysis of Child Well-Being in Middle and High Income Countries,"
European Journal of Comparative Economics,
Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 5(2), pages 187-249, December.
- Heshmati, Almas & Bajalan, Chemen S. J. & Tausch, Arno, 2007. "Measurement and Analysis of Child Well-Being in Middle and High Income Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 3203, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ben Lockwood, 2004. "How Robust is the Kearney/Foreign Policy Globalisation Index?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 507-523, 04.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 1998. "The human development index: some technical issues and alternative indices," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 589-605.
- Marcus Noland, 2005. "Explaining Middle Eastern Authoritarianism," Working Paper Series WP05-5, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Bhandari, Amit Kumar & Heshmati, Almas, 2005. "Measurement of Globalization and Its Variations Among Countries, Regions and Over Time," IZA Discussion Papers 1578, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Encuesta Mundial de Valores in Wikipedia Spanish ne '')
- Asabiyyah in Wikipedia Catalan ne '')
- Islam in Wikipedia Waray-Waray ne '')
- Islam in Wikipedia Polish ne '')
- Ronald Inglehart in Wikipedia Portuguese ne '')
- Asabiyyah in Wikipedia Malay ne '')
- Chủ nghĩa Hồi giáo in Wikipedia Vietnamese ne '')
- Іслам у Європі in Wikipedia Ukranian ne '')
- Islamismo in Wikipedia Spanish ne '')
- World Values Survey in Wikipedia Dutch ne '')
- 世界価値観調査 in Wikipedia Japanese ne '')
- Islamismo na Europa in Wikipedia Portuguese ne '')
- Ronald Inglehart in Wikipedia English ne '')
- ისლამი in Wikipedia Georgian ne '')
- ʻAşabīyah in Wikipedia Estonian ne '')
- Asabiyyah in Wikipedia English ne '')
- Mundus Musulmanus in Wikipedia Latin ne '')
- 아사비야 in Wikipedia Korean ne '')
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp4459. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.