Effects of Intergenerational Transfers on Elderly Coresidence with Adult Children: Evidence from Rural India
The present paper argues that intergenerational transfers between elderly parents and adult children are important determinants of any coresidency arrangement though generally overlooked in the existing literature. In this respect the paper distinguishes between exchange of both financial and other kinds of transfers between elderly parents and adult children and then examines the effects of these transfers on coresidency taking account of the inherent endogeneity of these transfers to coresidency decision. There is evidence that the effects of transfers on coresidency arrangements could be biased if one does not correct for the endogeneity bias. The corrected estimates derived from a system of correlated and recursive system of transfers and coresidency equations suggest that the probability of coresidence is generally lower among the better off elderly; the likelihood is also lower for the older and female elderly without a spouse and also those with poor health, thus necessitating social protection for these disadvantaged elderly.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dreze, Jean & Srinivasan, P. V., 1997. "Widowhood and poverty in rural India: Some inferences from household survey data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 217-234, December.
- Lee A. Lillard & Robert J. Willis, 1994.
"Intergenerational Educational Mobility: Effects of Family and State in Malaysia,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(4), pages 1126-1166.
- Lillard, L.A. & Willis, R.J., 1995. "Intergenerational Educational Mobility, Effects of Family and State in Malaysia," Papers 95-02, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Lillard, L.A. & Willis, R.J., 1993. "Intergenerational Educational Mobility: Efects of Family and State in Malaysia," Papers 93-38, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Cochrane, John H, 1991. "A Simple Test of Consumption Insurance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 957-76, October.
- Axel Borsch-Supan & Daniel McFadden & Reinhold Schnabel, 1993.
"Living Arrangements: Health and Wealth Effects,"
NBER Working Papers
4398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoddinott, John, 1992. "Rotten Kids or Manipulative Parents: Are Children Old Age Security in Western Kenya?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(3), pages 545-65, April.
- Cameron, L., 1998.
"The Residency Decision of Elderly Indonesians: A Nested Logit Analysis,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
638, The University of Melbourne.
- Lisa Cameron, 2000. "The residency decision of elderly indonesians: A nested logit analysis," Demography, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 17-27, February.
- Michael J. Brien & Lee A. Lillard, 1994.
"Education, Marriage, and First Conception in Malaysia,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(4), pages 1167-1204.
- Lillard, L.A. & Brien, M.J., 1993. "Education, Marriage and First Conception in Malaysia," Papers 93-16, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Sarmistha Pal & Robert Palacios, 2005. "Old Age Poverty In The Indian States: What The Household Data Can Say?," Labor and Demography 0505015, EconWPA.
- Angus Deaton & Christina Paxson, 1995.
"Measuring Poverty Among the Elderly,"
NBER Working Papers
5296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Axel Börsch-Supan, 1989. "Household Dissolution and the Choice of Alternative Living Arrangements among Elderly Americans," NBER Chapters, in: The Economics of Aging, pages 119-150 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker, Gary S, 1974.
"A Theory of Social Interactions,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1063-93, Nov.-Dec..
- Jellal, Mohamed & wolff, François charles, 2002.
"Insecure old-age security,"
38644, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1985. "A Transaction Cost Approach to Families and Households," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 23(2), pages 581-608, June.
- Anjini Kochar, 2000. "Parental Benefits from Intergenerational Coresidence: Empirical Evidence from Rural Pakistan," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(6), pages 1184-1209, December.
- Cox, Donald C & Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1992. "Social Security and Private Transfers in Developing Countries: The Case of Peru," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(1), pages 155-69, January.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & John N. Morris, 1989.
"How Much Care Do the Aged Receive from Their Children? A Bimodal Picture of Contact and Assistance,"
in: The Economics of Aging, pages 151-176
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & John N. Morris, 1987. "How Much Care Do the Aged Receive from Their Children? A Bimodal Picture of Contact and Assistance," NBER Working Papers 2391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert M. Townsend, .
"Risk and Insurance in Village India,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
91-3a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Lillard, L.A. & Panis, C.W.A., 1993.
"Health Inputs and Child Mortality: Malaysia,"
93-03, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Iacovou, Maria, 2000. "The living arrangements of elderly Europeans," ISER Working Paper Series 2000-09, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Gary V. Engelhardt & Jonathan Gruber & Cynthia D. Perry, 2002. "Social Security and Elderly Living Arrangements," NBER Working Papers 8911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2847. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.