Effects of Intergenerational Transfers on Elderly Coresidence with Adult Children: Evidence from Rural India
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Becker, Gary S, 1974. "A Theory of Social Interactions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1063-1093, Nov.-Dec..
- Iacovou, Maria, 2000. "The living arrangements of elderly Europeans," ISER Working Paper Series 2000-09, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Gary V. Engelhardt & Jonathan Gruber & Cynthia D. Perry, 2002. "Social Security and Elderly Living Arrangements," NBER Working Papers 8911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lisa Cameron, 2000.
"The residency decision of elderly indonesians: A nested logit analysis,"
Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 37(1), pages 17-27, February.
- Cameron, L., 1998. "The Residency Decision of Elderly Indonesians: A Nested Logit Analysis," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 638, The University of Melbourne.
- Hoddinott, John, 1992. "Rotten Kids or Manipulative Parents: Are Children Old Age Security in Western Kenya?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(3), pages 545-565, April.
- Townsend, Robert M, 1994.
"Risk and Insurance in Village India,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 539-591, May.
- Robert M. Townsend, "undated". "Risk and Insurance in Village India," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 91-3a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Townsend, R.M., 1991. "Risk and Insurance in Village India," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 91-3, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Mohamed Jellal & Francois-Charles Wolff, 2002. "Insecure old-age security," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(4), pages 636-648, October.
- Axel Borsch-Supan & Daniel L. McFadden & Reinhold Schnabel, 1996. "Living Arrangements: Health and Wealth Effects," NBER Chapters,in: Advances in the Economics of Aging, pages 193-216 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee A. Lillard & Robert J. Willis, 1994.
"Intergenerational Educational Mobility: Effects of Family and State in Malaysia,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(4), pages 1126-1166.
- Lillard, L.A. & Willis, R.J., 1993. "Intergenerational Educational Mobility: Efects of Family and State in Malaysia," Papers 93-38, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Lillard, L.A. & Willis, R.J., 1995. "Intergenerational Educational Mobility, Effects of Family and State in Malaysia," Papers 95-02, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Michael J. Brien & Lee A. Lillard, 1994.
"Education, Marriage, and First Conception in Malaysia,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(4), pages 1167-1204.
- Lillard, L.A. & Brien, M.J., 1993. "Education, Marriage and First Conception in Malaysia," Papers 93-16, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Cox, Donald C & Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1992. "Social Security and Private Transfers in Developing Countries: The Case of Peru," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(1), pages 155-169, January.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1985. "A Transaction Cost Approach to Families and Households," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 23(2), pages 581-608, June.
- Panis, Constantijn W. A. & Lillard, Lee A., 1994. "Health inputs and child mortality: Malaysia," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 455-489.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & John N. Morris, 1989.
"How Much Care Do the Aged Receive from Their Children? A Bimodal Picture of Contact and Assistance,"
NBER Chapters,in: The Economics of Aging, pages 151-176
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & John N. Morris, 1987. "How Much Care Do the Aged Receive from Their Children? A Bimodal Picture of Contact and Assistance," NBER Working Papers 2391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dreze, Jean & Srinivasan, P. V., 1997. "Widowhood and poverty in rural India: Some inferences from household survey data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 217-234, December.
- Anjini Kochar, 2000. "Parental Benefits from Intergenerational Coresidence: Empirical Evidence from Rural Pakistan," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(6), pages 1184-1209, December.
- Cochrane, John H, 1991. "A Simple Test of Consumption Insurance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 957-976, October.
- Angus S. Deaton & Christina Paxson, 1998. "Measuring Poverty among the Elderly," NBER Chapters,in: Inquiries in the Economics of Aging, pages 169-204 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sarmistha Pal & Robert Palacios, 2005. "Old Age Poverty In The Indian States: What The Household Data Can Say?," Labor and Demography 0505015, EconWPA.
- Axel Börsch-Supan, 1989. "Household Dissolution and the Choice of Alternative Living Arrangements among Elderly Americans," NBER Chapters,in: The Economics of Aging, pages 119-150 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Curtis, Chadwick C. & Lugauer, Steven & Mark, Nelson C., 2017.
"Demographics and aggregate household saving in Japan, China, and India,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 175-191.
- Chadwick C. Curtis & Steven Lugauer & Nelson C. Mark, 2015. "Demographics and Aggregate Household Saving in Japan, China, and India," NBER Working Papers 21555, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
More about this item
Keywordsco-residence with children; intergenerational transfers; elderly health and wealth effects; simultaneity bias; correlated recursive model;
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2007-07-07 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2007-07-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2007-07-07 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2007-07-07 (Development)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2847. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.