The Effect of Filipino Overseas Migration on the Non-Migrant Spouse’s Market Participation and Labor Supply Behavior
This paper examines the effect of one partner’s overseas migration on the other non-migrant partner’s labor force participation and supply behavior. I compare the effect when the migrant partner is male and when she is female. The study uses merged 2003 data sets from the nationally representative Labor Force Survey, the Family Income and Expenditures Survey and the Survey of Overseas Filipinos. Employing alternative empirical specifications of the labor supply function, the study examines the income remittance and the conjugal home-time effects of overseas migration. Addressing the potential endogeneity of income and migration, estimates establish stronger conjugal home time effects of migration for married women and larger remittance income effects for married men.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Lipton, Michael, 1980. "Migration from rural areas of poor countries: The impact on rural productivity and income distribution," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Aniceto C. Orbeta & Jr., 2005.
"Children and the Labor Force Participation and Earnings of Parents in the Philippines,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22670, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Orbeta, Aniceto Jr. C., 2007. "Children and the Labor Force Participation and Earnings of Parents in the Philippines," Philippine Journal of Development PJD 2005 Vol. XXXII No. 1, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Orbeta, Aniceto Jr. C., 2005. "Children and the Labor Force Participation and Earnings of Parents in the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2005-20, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Joshua D. Angrist & William N. Evans, 1996.
"Children and Their Parents' Labor Supply: Evidence from Exogenous Variation in Family Size,"
NBER Working Papers
5778, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Angrist, Joshua D & Evans, William N, 1998. "Children and Their Parents' Labor Supply: Evidence from Exogenous Variation in Family Size," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 450-77, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.