Poverty Simulation And Price Changes
Spatial price dispersion varies because of climatic fluctuations, marketimperfections, economic growth or economic policies. These variations areoften neglected in poverty studies.In this paper, we propose a simple simulation formula to assess the effecton poverty of a change in the spatial mean or spatial variance of price indiceswithout having to model each household situation. This approach constitutes aconvenient first step of the analysis of the impact of change in pricedistributions before more sophisticated investigation of causality structures andhousehold heterogeneity.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balisacan, Arsenio M, 1995. "Anatomy of Poverty during Adjustment: The Case of the Philippines," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 33-62, October.
- Atkinson, A B, 1987. "On the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 749-64, July.
- Sahn, David E & Sarris, Alexander H, 1991. "Structural Adjustment and the Welfare of Rural Smallholders: A Comparative Analysis from Sub-Saharan Africa," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 259-89, May.
- Hirschberg, Joseph G. & Slottje, D. J., 1989. "Remembrance of things past the distribution of earnings across occupations and the kappa criterion," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 121-130, September.
- Badiane, Ousmane & Shively, Gerald E., 1998. "Spatial integration, transport costs, and the response of local prices to policy changes in Ghana," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 411-431, August.
- Ravallion, M., 1998. "Poverty Lines in Theory and Practice," Papers 133, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Deaton, A. & Grimard, F., 1991. "Demand Analysis For Tax Reform In Pakistan," Papers 151, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 1986.
"Structural Adjustment, Macroeconomic Adjustment and Poverty: A Methodology for Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
132, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ravi Kanbur, S. M., 1987. "Structural adjustment, macroeconomic adjustment and poverty: A methodology for analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(12), pages 1515-1526, December.
- Mercedes Prieto Alaiz & Maria-Pia Victoria-Feser, 1996. "Modelling Income Distribution in Spain: A Robust Parametric Approach," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 20, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Creedy, John & Martin, Vance L, 1994. "A Model of the Distribution of Prices," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(1), pages 67-76, February.
- Cowell, Frank A. & Victoria-Feser, Maria-Pia, 1996. "Poverty measurement with contaminated data: A robust approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1761-1771, December.
- Salem, A B Z & Mount, T D, 1974. "A Convenient Descriptive Model of Income Distribution: The Gamma Density," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 1115-27, November.
- Bourguignon, Francois & de Melo, Jaime & Morrisson, Christian, 1991.
"Poverty and income distribution during adjustment : issues and evidence from the OECD project,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
810, The World Bank.
- Bourguignon, Francois & de Melo, Jaime & Morrisson, Christian, 1991. "Poverty and income distribution during adjustment: Issues and evidence from the OECD project," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(11), pages 1485-1508, November.
- Eaton, Jonathan, 1980. "Price Variability, Utility and Savings," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 513-20, April.
- Christophe Muller, 2001. "The Properties of the Watts Poverty Index under Lognormality," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 9(1), pages 1-9.
- Duncan, Alex & Jones, Stephen, 1993. "Agricultural marketing and pricing reform: A review of experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 1495-1514, September.
- Pranab Bardhan., 1996.
"Efficiency, Equity and Poverty Alleviation: Policy Issues in Less Developed Countries,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C96-065, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bardhan, Pranab, 1996. "Efficiency, Equity and Poverty Alleviation: Policy Issues in Less Developed Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1344-56, September.
- Bardhan, Pranab, 1996. "Efficiency, Equity and Poverty Alleviation: Policy Issues in Less Developed Countries," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt3jq4h9sc, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Demery, Lionel & Squire, Lyn, 1996. "Macroeconomic Adjustment and Poverty in Africa: An Emerging Picture," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 39-59, February.
- Ravallion, M., 1992. "Poverty Comparisons - A Guide to Concepts and Methods," Papers 88, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Christopher B. Barrett & Paul A. Dorosh, 1996. "Farmers' Welfare and Changing Food Prices: Nonparametric Evidence from Rice in Madagascar," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 656-669.
- Bevan, D.L. & Collier, P. & Gunning, J.W., 1990. "Price Controls And The Transition To Market Clearing: Theory And An Application To Tanzania," Economics Series Working Papers 9994, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Besley, Timothy J & Kanbur, S M Ravi, 1988. "Food Subsidies and Poverty Alleviation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 701-19, September.
- Singh, S K & Maddala, G S, 1976. "A Function for Size Distribution of Incomes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 963-70, September.
- Muller, Christophe, 2002. "Prices and living standards: evidence for Rwanda," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 187-203, June.
- Alderman, Harold & Shively, Gerald, 1996. "Economic reform and food prices: Evidence from markets in Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 521-534, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2006-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.