Poverty and inequality under income and price dispersions
We introduce an analytical framework for welfare analysis that accounts for changes in the joint distribution of prices and incomes by using parametric formulae of poverty and inequality measures. We propose statistical indicators for the levels, variabilities and a statistical link of price indices and nominal living standards, which are consistent with a bivariate lognormal model. Our analysis provides intuitive insight about the social welfare impact of economic shocks affecting levels, variabilities, and correlation of prices and incomes. The roles of price and income variabilities for poverty and inequality are exhibited, with the possibility of several variation regimes.
Volume (Year): 38 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://economics.ca/en/membership.php Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Foster & Efe A. Ok, 1999.
"Lorenz Dominance and the Variance of Logarithms,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(4), pages 901-908, July.
- Bourguignon, Francois & de Melo, Jaime & Morrisson, Christian, 1991.
"Poverty and income distribution during adjustment : issues and evidence from the OECD project,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
810, The World Bank.
- Bourguignon, Francois & de Melo, Jaime & Morrisson, Christian, 1991. "Poverty and income distribution during adjustment: Issues and evidence from the OECD project," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(11), pages 1485-1508, November.
- Muller, Christophe, 2002. "Prices and living standards: evidence for Rwanda," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 187-203, June.
- Hirschberg, Joseph G. & Slottje, D. J., 1989. "Remembrance of things past the distribution of earnings across occupations and the kappa criterion," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 121-130, September.
- Kuan Xu & Lars Osberg, 2002.
"The social welfare implications, decomposability, and geometry of the Sen family of poverty indices,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(1), pages 138-152, February.
- Kuan Xu & Lars Osberg, 2000. "The Social Welfare Implications, Decomposability, and Geometry of the Sen Family of Poverty Indices," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive sendeco, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Kloek, Teun & van Dijk, Herman K., 1978. "Efficient estimation of income distribution parameters," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 61-74, August.
- Christophe Muller, 2001. "The Properties of the Watts Poverty Index under Lognormality," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 9(1), pages 1-9.
- van Praag, Bernard M S & Hagenaars, Aldi J M & van Eck, Wim, 1983. "The Influence of Classification and Observation Errors on the Measurement of Income Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1093-108, July.
- Slesnick, Daniel T, 1993. "Gaining Ground: Poverty in the Postwar United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(1), pages 1-38, February.
- Creedy, John & Martin, Vance L, 1994. "A Model of the Distribution of Prices," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(1), pages 67-76, February.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1995. "Revisiting the Sen Poverty Index," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1225-30, September.
- Braithwait, Steven D, 1980. "The Substitution Bias of the Laspeyres Price Index: An Analysis Using Estimated Cost-of-Living Indexes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(1), pages 64-77, March.
- Chipman, John S., 1974. "The welfare ranking of Pareto distributions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 275-282, November.
- Duncan, Alex & Jones, Stephen, 1993. "Agricultural marketing and pricing reform: A review of experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 1495-1514, September.
- Eaton, Jonathan, 1980. "Price Variability, Utility and Savings," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 513-20, April.
- Slottje, Daniel J., 1984. "A measure of income inequality in the U.S. for the years 1952-1980 based on the beta distribution of the second kind," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 369-375.
- Rao, Vijayendra, 2000. "Price Heterogeneity and "Real" Inequality: A Case Study of Prices and Poverty in Rural South India," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(2), pages 201-11, June.
- Salem, A B Z & Mount, T D, 1974. "A Convenient Descriptive Model of Income Distribution: The Gamma Density," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 1115-27, November.
- Christophe Muller, 2004.
"Poverty And Inequality Under Income And Price Dispersions,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2004-35, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Christophe Muller, 2005. "Poverty and inequality under income and price dispersions," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(3), pages 979-998, August.
- Sahn, David E & Sarris, Alexander H, 1991. "Structural Adjustment and the Welfare of Rural Smallholders: A Comparative Analysis from Sub-Saharan Africa," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 259-89, May.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1989. "Continuously distributed attributes and measures of multivariate inequality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 131-144, September.
- Steven Phillips & Vincent Koen, 1993. "Price Liberalization in Russia; Behavior of Prices, Household Incomes, and Consumption During the First Year," IMF Occasional Papers 104, International Monetary Fund.
- Singh, S K & Maddala, G S, 1976. "A Function for Size Distribution of Incomes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 963-70, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cje:issued:v:38:y:2005:i:3:p:979-998. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.