Les différences spatiales de pauvreté en Mauritanie : un test de dominance
Based on two national household surveys, carried out in 1990 and 1995_96, a test of stochastic dominance allows to apprehend spacial poverty differences in Mauritania. The results show a relative robustness as for the classification of the social states in terms of poverty of three principal groups. By order descending of poverty, the latter are:(i) the rural sector of the River and the South & South_East;(ii) urban zones of the River and the South & South_East, as well as the rural Center_North; (iii) Nouakchott and cities of Center_North. This conclusion was obtained with a poverty ligne of 40 402 ouguiyas per capita and per annum - determined by the approach of the cost of the basic needs -, and is independent of the taking into account of a scale factor of the households different from the unit. In addition, the regression of rural and urban poverty in Mauritania between 1990 and 1996 shows that, for additive measurements, it is stronger in relative terms in the urban sector, compared to the rural sector, whereas the reverse prevails in absolute terms. Moreover, the regional structure of poverty is only changed in rural sector, the area of the River being impoverished, relative at the other rural zones. On the other hand, the relative importance of poverty in the secondary cities is always highest compared to Nouakchott. Such results would tend to show the absence of antagonism between the policies of adjustment and the reduction of poverty and, at the same time, the advisability of focusing the actions in direction of the rural sector in order to fight the latter most effectively. (Full text in French)
|Date of creation:||Apr 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1995. "Revisiting the Sen Poverty Index," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1225-30, September.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000.
"Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1435-1464, November.
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Cahiers de recherche 9805, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.-Y., 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Ravallion, Martin & Bidani, Benu, 1994.
"How Robust Is a Poverty Profile?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 8(1), pages 75-102, January.
- Ravallion, M., 1992. "Poverty Comparisons - A Guide to Concepts and Methods," Papers 88, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Ravallion, M., 1998. "Poverty Lines in Theory and Practice," Papers 133, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Satya R. Chakravarty, 1997. "On Shorrocks' Reinvestigation of the Sen Poverty Index," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1241-1242, September.
- Coulombe, Harold & Mckay, Andrew, 1996. "Modeling determinants of poverty in Mauritania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1015-1031, June.
- Ravallion, Martin & Jalan, Jyotsna, 1996. "Growth divergence due to spatial externalities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 227-232, November.
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1991. "Subgroup Consistent Poverty Indices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 687-709, May.
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1988. "Poverty Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 173-77, January.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Chakravarty, Satya R., 1983. "A new index of poverty," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 307-313, December.
- Atkinson, A B, 1987. "On the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 749-64, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mon:ceddtr:35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.