EU Finance Ministers, Capital Markets and Fiscal Outcomes
We investigate the relevance of the characteristics of Ministers of Finance as an influence on the development of stock returns, sovereign yields and fiscal outcomes, which result from the implementation of their fiscal policies. For a panel of 27 EU countries, covering the period of 1980-2012, we find that academic background, tenure and gender, play a role in determining stock and bond market returns, as well as the general fiscal position of governments.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Irma Clots-Figueras, 2005.
"Women in politics: evidence from the Indian states,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19294, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Clots-Figueras, Irma, 2011. "Women in politics: Evidence from the Indian States," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 664-690, August.
- Tavares, Jose, 2004.
"Does right or left matter? Cabinets, credibility and fiscal adjustments,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 2447-2468, December.
- Jose Tavares, 2000. "Does Right or Left Matter? Cabinets, Credibility and Fiscal Adjustments," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1548, Econometric Society.
- Moessinger, Marc-Daniel, 2012. "Do personal characteristics of finance ministers affect the development of public debt?," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-068, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Timothy Besley & Jose G. Montalvo & Marta Reynal‐Querol, 2011. "Do Educated Leaders Matter?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(554), pages F205-, 08.
- Bertocchi, Graziella, 2007.
"The Enfranchisement of Women and the Welfare State,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2922, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bertocchi, Graziella, 2011. "The enfranchisement of women and the welfare state," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 535-553, May.
- Graziella Bertocchi, 2008. "The Enfranchisement of Women and the Welfare State," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 018, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Graziella Bertocchi, 2008. "The Enfranchisement of Women and the Welfare State," Discussion Papers 4_2008, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Graziella Bertocchi, 2007. "The Enfranchisement of Women and the Welfare State," CHILD Working Papers wp15_07, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Bertocchi, Graziella, 2007. "The Enfranchisement of Women and the Welfare State," CEPR Discussion Papers 6396, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svaleryd, Helena, 2009.
"Women's representation and public spending,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 186-198, June.
- Etienne Farvaque & Hakim Hammadou & Piotr Stanek, 2011. "Selecting Your Inflation Targeters: Background and Performance of Monetary Policy Committee Members," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(2), pages 223-238, 05.
- Axel Dreher & Michael J. Lamla & Sarah M. Rupprecht & Frank Somogyi, 2006.
"The impact of political leaders’ profession and education on reforms,"
KOF Working papers
06-147, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Dreher, Axel & Lamla, Michael J. & Lein, Sarah M. & Somogyi, Frank, 2009. "The impact of political leaders' profession and education on reforms," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 169-193, March.
- Alexander Muravyev & Dorothea Schaefer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2008.
"Entrepreneurs' gender and financial constraints: evidence from international data,"
11, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Muravyev, Alexander & Talavera, Oleksandr & Schäfer, Dorothea, 2009. "Entrepreneurs' gender and financial constraints: Evidence from international data," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 270-286, June.
- Alexander Muravyev & Dorothea Schäfer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2007. "Entrepreneurs' Gender and Financial Constraints: Evidence from International Data," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 706, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Jürgen von Hagen, 2002. "Fiscal Rules, Fiscal Institutions, and Fiscal Performance," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 33(3), pages 263-284.
- Beate R. Jochimsen & Sebastian Thomasius, 2012.
"The Perfect Finance Minister: Whom to Appoint as Finance Minister to Balance the Budget?,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1188, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Jochimsen, Beate & Thomasius, Sebastian, 2014. "The perfect finance minister: Whom to appoint as finance minister to balance the budget," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 390-408.
- Nelson, James, 2005. "Corporate governance practices, CEO characteristics and firm performance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 197-228, March.
- Audinga Baltrunaite & Piera Bello & Alessandra Casarico & Paola Profeta, 2012.
"Gender Quotas and the Quality of Politicians,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3734, CESifo Group Munich.
- de Haan, Jakob & Sturm, Jan-Egbert, 1997. "Political and economic determinants of OECD budget deficits and government expenditures: A reinvestigation," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 739-750, December.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2012. "Ideology and fiscal policy: quasi-experimental evidence from the German States," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 144, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Etienne Farvaque & Hakim Hammadou & Piotr Stanek, 2009. "Select your Committee: the Impact of Central Bankers Background on Inflation," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 117, pages 99-129.
- Adams, Renée B. & Ferreira, Daniel, 2009. "Women in the boardroom and their impact on governance and performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 291-309, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp012014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.