Small businesses performance in West African border regions: Do social networks pay off?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/12204 is not listed on IDEAS
- Burns, Justine & Godlonton, Susan & Keswell, Malcolm, 2010.
"Social networks, employment and worker discouragement: Evidence from South Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 336-344, April.
- Susan Godlonton & Justine Burns, 2006. "Social Networks, Employment and Worker Discouragement: Evidence from South Africa," SALDRU Working Papers 6, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Timothy G. Conley & Christopher R. Udry, 2010.
"Learning about a New Technology: Pineapple in Ghana,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 35-69, March.
- Timothy G. Conley & Christopher R. Udry, 2005. "Learning about a new technology: pineapple in Ghana," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Timothy G. Conley & Christopher R. Udry, 2000. "Learning About a New Technology: Pineapple in Ghana," Working Papers 817, Economic Growth Center, Yale University, revised May 2004.
- Conley, T.G. & Udry, C.R., 2000. "Learning about a New Technology: Pineapple in Ghana," Papers 817, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Olivier Walther, 2012. "Traders, agricultural entrepreneurs and the development of cross-border regions in West Africa," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(3-4), pages 123-141, April.
- Marcel Fafchamps, 2002. "Returns to social network capital among traders," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(2), pages 173-206, April.
- Mark Granovetter, 2005. "The Impact of Social Structure on Economic Outcomes," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 33-50, Winter.
- Christophe Nordman & Laure Pasquier-Doumer, 2013.
"Transitions in a West African Labour Market: The Role of Social Networks,"
DT/2013/12, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Christophe Jalil Nordman & Laure Pasquier-Doumer, 2017. "Transitions in a West African Labour Market: The Role of Social Networks," Working Papers hal-01620160, HAL.
- Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Market Institutions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Theory and Evidence," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262062364, January.
- Volker Schöer & Neil Rankin & Gareth Roberts, 2014. "Accessing The First Job In A Slack Labour Market: Job Matching In South Africa," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Peter Urwin & Giorgio Di Pietro & Patrick Sturgis & Gregor Jack, 2008. "Networking and Accumulation of Social Capital," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(5), pages 941-968, November.
- Philippe LeMay-Boucher & Joël Noret & Vincent Somville, 2013.
"Facing Misfortune: Expenditures on Magico-Religious Powers for Cure and Protection in Benin,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 22(2), pages 300-322, March.
- Philippe Lemay-Boucher & Joël Noret & Vincent Somville, 2013. "Facing misfortune: Expenditures on magico-religious powers for cure and protection in Benin," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/183325, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kuepie, Mathias & Nordman, Christophe J. & Roubaud, François, 2009. "Education and earnings in urban West Africa," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 491-515, September.
- ISHIWATA Ayako & Petr MATOUS & TODO Yasuyuki, 2014. "Effects of Business Networks on Firm Growth in a Cluster of Microenterprises: Evidence from rural Ethiopia," Discussion papers 14014, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Torben Dall Schmidt & Peter Sandholt Jensen, 2012. "Social networks and regional recruitment of foreign labour: Firm recruitment methods and spatial sorting in Denmark," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(4), pages 795-821, November.
- John E. Akoten & Keijiro Otsuka, 2007. "From Tailors to Mini-Manufacturers: The Role of Traders in the Performance of Garment Enterprises in Kenya," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 16(4), pages 564-595, August.
- Andre Hofmeyr, 2010. "Social Networks And Ethnic Niches: An Econometric Analysis Of The Manufacturing Sector In South Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 78(1), pages 107-130, March.
- Lydon,Ghislaine, 2009. "On Trans-Saharan Trails," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521887243.
- Mano, Yukichi & Yamano, Takashi & Suzuki, Aya & Matsumoto, Tomoya, 2011.
"Local and Personal Networks in Employment and the Development of Labor Markets: Evidence from the Cut Flower Industry in Ethiopia,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1760-1770.
- Yukichi Mano & Takashi Yamano & Aya Suzuki & Tomoya Matsumoto, 2011. "Local and Personal Networks in Employment and the Development of Labor Markets:Evidence from the Cut Flower Industry in Ethiopia," GRIPS Discussion Papers 10-29, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
More about this item
KeywordsSocial networks; border markets; economic performance; Benin; Niger; Nigeria;
- D85 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Network Formation
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2014-05-24 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2014-05-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2014-05-24 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-SOC-2014-05-24 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-URE-2014-05-24 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:irs:cepswp:2014-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Library and Documentation). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/cepsslu.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.