EU Island Farming and the Labelling of its Products
Farming in the islands of the European Union faces specific challenges due to isolation and small size, which justify specific policy tools in terms of structural and regional polices. The question whether the output of island farming (island agricultural and food products) is of such a specific quality that labelling it as such by ways of an optional quality term in the sense of Regulation (EC) No 1151/2012 is justified or not. Capturing the socio-economic reality of island farming in the EU as well as the labelling strategies pursued by stakeholders on the market demonstrates that a specific labelling rule for island products has benefits in particular for small producers and/or small islands, but that it would better be accompanied by the labelling of the specific name of the island(s) concerned.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Inca Garcilaso, s/n 41092 Seville|
Phone: +34 954 48 8318
Fax: +34 954 48 8300
Web page: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Armstrong, H. & De Kervenoael, R. J. & Li, X. & Read, R., 1998.
"A comparison of the economic performance of different micro-states, and between micro-states and larger countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 639-656, April.
- H Armstrong, R de Kervenoael, Xiao-Ming Li and R Read, . "A Comparision of the economic performance of different micro-states and between micro-states and larger countries," Working Papers ec9/97, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Jill E. Hobbs & DeeVon Bailey & David L. Dickinson & Morteza Haghiri, 2005. "Traceability in the Canadian Red Meat Sector: Do Consumers Care?," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 53(1), pages 47-65, 03.
- Briguglio, Lino, 1995. "Small island developing states and their economic vulnerabilities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1615-1632, September.
- Dimitris Skuras & Efthalia Dimara, 2004. "Regional Image and the Consumption of Regionally Denominated Products," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 41(4), pages 801-815, April.
- Bertram, Geoffrey, 2004. "On the Convergence of Small Island Economies with Their Metropolitan Patrons," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 343-364, February.
- Fabien Santini & Fatmir Guri & Sergio Gomez y Paloma, 2013. "Labelling of agricultural and food products of mountain farming," JRC Working Papers JRC77119, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Michel Beine & Frédéric Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, .
"Brain drain and human capital formation in developing countries: winners and losers?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10415, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michel Beine & Fréderic Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, 2008. "Brain Drain and Human Capital Formation in Developing Countries: Winners and Losers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(528), pages 631-652, 04.
- Michel, BEINE & Frédéric, DOCQUIER & Hillel, RAPOPORT, 2006. "Brain drain and human capital formation in developing countries : winners and losers," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006023, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Easterly, William & Kraay, Aart, 2000. "Small States, Small Problems? Income, Growth, and Volatility in Small States," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2013-2027, November.
- Marc Mueller & Emanuele Ferrari, 2012. "Social Accounting Matrices and Satellite Accounts for EU27 on NUTS2 Level (SAMNUTS2)," JRC Working Papers JRC73088, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Armstrong, H W & Read, R, 2000. "Comparing the Economic Performance of Dependent Territories and Sovereign Microstates," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 285-306, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipt:iptwpa:jrc84949. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Institute Publication Officer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.