The effect of innovative SMEs' growth to the structural renewal of the EU economy - A projection to the year 2020 –
The Policy Brief addresses the following question: To what extent the high-growth of current innovative R&D-intensive SMEs can drive the envisaged structural change of the EU economy towards high R&D intensive sectors? It aims to contribute to the debate about how to set the right priorities and find the most appropriate policy interventions to allow Europe to reach the 3% R&D intensity target and hence its growth and employment objectives. It first summarises stylised findings from the literature on the relevance of innovative companies for economic growth, then presents results from a recent JRC-IPTS study which go some way towards answering the question posed above, and concludes by outlining some of the contributions that enrich the policy debate.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Inca Garcilaso, s/n 41092 Seville|
Phone: +34 954 48 8318
Fax: +34 954 48 8300
Web page: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Subal Kumbhakar & Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2012.
"Corporate R&D and firm efficiency: evidence from Europe’s top R&D investors,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 125-140, April.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Ortega-Argilés, Raquel & Potters, Lesley & Vivarelli, Marco & Voigt, Peter, 2009. "Corporate R&D and Firm Efficiency: Evidence from Europe’s Top R&D Investors," IZA Discussion Papers 4657, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Subal C. Kumbhakar & Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2010. "Corporate R&D and firm efficiency: Evidence from Europe’s top R&D investors," JRC Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2010-11, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Bogliacino, Francesco & Piva, Mariacristina & Vivarelli, Marco, 2012. "R&D and employment: An application of the LSDVC estimator using European microdata," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 56-59.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Julie Delanote, 2013. "Young Innovative Companies: the new high-growth firms?," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(5), pages 1315-1340, October.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Delanote, Julie, 2012. "Young innovative companies: The new high-growth firms?," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-030, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Michele Cincera & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2013. "Young leading innovators and the EU's R&D intensity gap," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 177-198, March.
- Michele Cincera & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2013. "Young Leading Innovators and the EU’s R&D intensity gap," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/147096, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990. "Endogenous Technological Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 71-102, October.
- Paul Romer, 1989. "Endogenous Technological Change," NBER Working Papers 3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul M Romer, 1999. "Endogenous Technological Change," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2135, David K. Levine.
- Daria Ciriaci & Pietro Moncada-Paternò-Castello & Peter Voigt, 2016. "Innovation and job creation: a sustainable relation?," Eurasian Business Review, Springer;Eurasia Business and Economics Society, vol. 6(2), pages 189-213, August.
- Daria Ciriaci & Pietro Moncada-Paternò-Castello & Peter Voigt, 2013. "Innovation and Job Creation: A sustainable relation?," JRC Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2013-01, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Andries Brandsma, 2009. "EU-US differences in the size of R&D intensive firms," JRC Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2009-2, Joint Research Centre (Seville site). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipt:iptwpa:jrc83400. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publication Officer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.