The effect of innovative SMEs' growth to the structural renewal of the EU economy - A projection to the year 2020 –
The Policy Brief addresses the following question: To what extent the high-growth of current innovative R&D-intensive SMEs can drive the envisaged structural change of the EU economy towards high R&D intensive sectors? It aims to contribute to the debate about how to set the right priorities and find the most appropriate policy interventions to allow Europe to reach the 3% R&D intensity target and hence its growth and employment objectives. It first summarises stylised findings from the literature on the relevance of innovative companies for economic growth, then presents results from a recent JRC-IPTS study which go some way towards answering the question posed above, and concludes by outlining some of the contributions that enrich the policy debate.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 954 48 8318
Fax: +34 954 48 8300
Web page: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/institutes/ipts
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2012.
"Corporate R&D and firm efficiency: evidence from Europe’s top R&D investors,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 125-140, April.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar & Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2010. "Corporate R&D and firm efficiency: Evidence from Europe’s top R&D investors," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2010-11, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Ortega-Argilés, Raquel & Potters, Lesley & Vivarelli, Marco & Voigt, Peter, 2009. "Corporate R&D and Firm Efficiency: Evidence from Europe’s Top R&D Investors," IZA Discussion Papers 4657, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daria Ciriaci & Pietro Moncada-Paternò-Castello & Peter Voigt, 2013. "Innovation and Job Creation: A sustainable relation?," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2013-01, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Michele Cincera & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2013.
"Young leading innovators and the EU's R&D intensity gap,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 177-198, March.
- Michele Cincera & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2013. "Young Leading Innovators and the EU’s R&D intensity gap," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/147096, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Andries Brandsma, 2009. "EU-US differences in the size of R&D intensive firms," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2009-2, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Bogliacino, Francesco & Piva, Mariacristina & Vivarelli, Marco, 2012. "R&D and employment: An application of the LSDVC estimator using European microdata," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 56-59.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipt:iptwpa:jrc83400. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Institute Publication Officer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.