The effect of innovative SMEs' growth to the structural renewal of the EU economy - A projection to the year 2020 –
The Policy Brief addresses the following question: To what extent the high-growth of current innovative R&D-intensive SMEs can drive the envisaged structural change of the EU economy towards high R&D intensive sectors? It aims to contribute to the debate about how to set the right priorities and find the most appropriate policy interventions to allow Europe to reach the 3% R&D intensity target and hence its growth and employment objectives. It first summarises stylised findings from the literature on the relevance of innovative companies for economic growth, then presents results from a recent JRC-IPTS study which go some way towards answering the question posed above, and concludes by outlining some of the contributions that enrich the policy debate.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 954 48 8318
Fax: +34 954 48 8300
Web page: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/institutes/ipts
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Andries Brandsma, 2009. "EU-US differences in the size of R&D intensive firms," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2009-2, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2012.
"Corporate R&D and firm efficiency: evidence from Europe’s top R&D investors,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 125-140, April.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Ortega-Argilés, Raquel & Potters, Lesley & Vivarelli, Marco & Voigt, Peter, 2009. "Corporate R&D and Firm Efficiency: Evidence from Europe’s Top R&D Investors," IZA Discussion Papers 4657, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Subal C. Kumbhakar & Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2010. "Corporate R&D and firm efficiency: Evidence from Europe’s top R&D investors," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2010-11, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Michele Cincera & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2013.
"Young leading innovators and the EU's R&D intensity gap,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 177-198, March.
- Michele Cincera & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2013. "Young Leading Innovators and the EU’s R&D intensity gap," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/147096, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Daria Ciriaci & Pietro Moncada-Paternò-Castello & Peter Voigt, 2013. "Innovation and Job Creation: A sustainable relation?," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2013-01, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Bogliacino, Francesco & Piva, Mariacristina & Vivarelli, Marco, 2012. "R&D and employment: An application of the LSDVC estimator using European microdata," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 56-59.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipt:iptwpa:jrc83400. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Institute Publication Officer)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Institute Publication Officer to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.