Persistence of Performance Using the Four-Factor Pricing Model: Evidence from Dow Jones Islamic Index
Despite the increasing attention to ethical investments, the empirical studies on Islamic indices are scarce. The main goal of this article is to investigate whether Dow Jones Islamic index 100 titans (DJI100) delivers persistent performance. Using the Carhart (1997) four-factor model, we consider all historical data available from the launching of the index by Dow Jones on September 1999 to March 2011. We study all the firms included in the index and we construct the risk factors (Market premium, size, Book-to-Market, momentum). Our findings show positive performance for momentum strategy and support the idea that ethical investments could under-perform and thus investors accept to pay for their ethics.
|Date of creation:||10 Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 63 36 00
Web page: http://www.ipag.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, .
"Value Versus Growth: The International Evidence,"
CRSP working papers
449, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- De Bondt, Werner F M & Thaler, Richard, 1985. " Does the Stock Market Overreact?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 793-805, July.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Stephen Fowler & C. Hope, 2007. "A Critical Review of Sustainable Business Indices and their Impact," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 76(3), pages 243-252, December.
- Hassan, M. Kabir & Girard, Eric, 2010.
"Faith-Based Ethical Investing: The Case Of Dow Jones Islamic Indexes,"
Journal of Islamic Economic Studies,
The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 17, pages 1-31.
- M. Kabir Hassan & Eric Girard, 2011. "Faith-Based Ethical Investing: The Case of Dow Jones Islamic Indexes," NFI Working Papers 2011-WP-05, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Martin Čihák & Heiko Hesse, 2010.
"Islamic Banks and Financial Stability: An Empirical Analysis,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 95-113, December.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Heiko Hesse, 2008. "Islamic Banks and Financial Stability; An Empirical Analysis," IMF Working Papers 08/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Michael Schröder, 2007.
"Is there a Difference? The Performance Characteristics of SRI Equity Indices,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1-2), pages 331-348.
- Schröder, Michael, 2005. "Is there a Difference? The Performance Characteristics of SRI Equity Indexes," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-50, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. " Returns to Buying Winners and Selling Losers: Implications for Stock Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 65-91, March.
- Hassan, Abul & Antoniou, Antonios & Paudyal, D Krishna, 2005. "Impact Of Ethical Screening On Investment Performance: The Case Of The Dow Jones Islamic Index," Journal of Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 12, pages 68-97.
- Abd. Ghafar Ismail and Mohd. Saharudin Shakrani, 2003. "The Conditional Capm And Cross-Sectional Evidence Of Return And Beta For Islamic Unit Trusts In Malaysia," IIUM Journal of Economics and Management, IIUM Journal of Economis and Management, vol. 11(1), pages 1-20, June.
- L'Her, Jean-Francois & Masmoudi, Tarek & Suret, Jean-Marc, 2004. "Evidence to support the four-factor pricing model from the Canadian stock market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 313-328, October.
- Fikriyah Abdullah & Taufiq Hassan & Shamsher Mohamad, 2007. "Investigation of performance of Malaysian Islamic unit trust funds: Comparison with conventional unit trust funds," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 142-153.
- Hong, Harrison & Kacperczyk, Marcin, 2009. "The price of sin: The effects of social norms on markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 15-36, July.
- Narasimhan Jegadeesh, 2001. "Profitability of Momentum Strategies: An Evaluation of Alternative Explanations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 699-720, 04.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Norma Md. Saad & M. Shabri Abd. Majid & Salina Kassim & Zarinah Hamid & Rosylin Mohd. Yusof, 2010. "A comparative analysis of the performance of conventional and Islamic unit trust companies in Malaysia," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(1), pages 24-47, February.
- Jacquelyn E. Humphrey & Michael A. O'Brien, 2010. "Persistence and the four-factor model in the Australian funds market: a note," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 50(1), pages 103-119.
- Rob Bauer & Jeroen Derwall & RogÃ©r Otten, 2007. "The Ethical Mutual Fund Performance Debate: New Evidence from Canada," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 111-124, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipg:wpaper:2014-216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.