Fatores Locacionais e o Investimento Estrangeiro em Pesquisa e desenvolvimento: Evidências para o Brasil, Argentina e México
Este artigo tem o objetivo de avaliar se características específicas dos países receptores do investimento direto contribuem para explicar os investimentos em Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento (P&D) realizados por empresas estrangeiras. Para tanto, foram estimados modelos de seleção em dois estágios para explicar o investimento em P&D das empresas estrangeiras no Brasil, na Argentina e no México a partir do empilhamento dos microdados das pesquisas de inovação dos três países. Os resultados sugerem que o tamanho do mercado e o grau de interação existente entre empresas e instituições de pesquisa são fatores locacionais importantes para explicar os investimentos em P&D das empresas estrangeiras nesses países. The aim of this paper is to analyze if specific characteristics of host countries contribute to explain foreign investment in research and development. We have estimated two step selection models to explain the decision and the level of R&D investment by multinational companies in Brazil, Argentina and Mexico. The innovation surveys in these three countries were pooled in order to do the estimations. The main results suggest that the size of the market and the interaction between firms and research institutes and universities are important locational factors explaining multinational companies investments in research and development.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: SBS - Quadra 01 - Bloco J - Ed. BNDES, Brasília, DF - 70076-90|
Web page: http://www.ipea.gov.br
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kosacoff, Bernardo & Ramos, Adrián, 2006. "Microeconomic behavior in high uncertainty environments: the case of Argentina," Documentos de Proyectos 101, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Walter Kuemmerle, 1999. "The Drivers of Foreign Direct Investment into Research and Development: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1984. "Tobit models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 3-61.
- Mowery, David C & Oxley, Joanne E, 1995. "Inward Technology Transfer and Competitiveness: The Role of National Innovation Systems," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 67-93, February.
- Costa, Ionara & de Queiroz, Sergio Robles Reis, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and technological capabilities in Brazilian industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1431-1443, December.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Cantwell, John, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: What Remains of the Product Cycle Model?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 155-174, February.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 2001. "Determinants of location of overseas R&D activity of multinational enterprises: the case of US and Japanese corporations1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 159-174, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipe:ipetds:1454. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabio Schiavinatto)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.