Income inequality and poverty in front of and during the economic crisis - An empirical investigation for Germany 2002-2010
Based on data from the German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP), both income inequality and poverty are considered for Germany in front of and during the economic crisis 2008-2010. This comprises binary logistic regressions where it is tested whether a person is belonging to a certain income region or not. The units of analysis are differentiated by residential status, nationality, sex, age, household size/household type, employment status, etc. For instance, the likelihood of unemployed persons for being located in the low-income region weakly increased between 2007 and 2009. Those microeconomic calculations are correlated with the macroeconomic variables economic growth, inflation, and general unemployment. At the peak of the crisis – in 2009 – inequality dropped, and it increased afterwards. Poverty was not affected very much by economic developments during the crisis but at least an in-crease of persons, who stayed within the poverty region, occurred between 2008 and 2009 (compared with 2007/2008).
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ecineq.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gert G. Wagner & Joachim R. Frick & Jürgen Schupp, 2007.
"The German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP): Scope, Evolution and Enhancements,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
1, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Gert G. Wagner & Joachim R. Frick & Jürgen Schupp, 2007. "The German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP) – Scope, Evolution and Enhancements," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 127(1), pages 139-169.
- Habib, Bilal & Narayan, Ambar & Olivieri, Sergio & Sanchez, Carolina, 2010.
"The Impact of the Financial Crisis on Poverty and Income Distribution: Insights from Simulations in Selected Countries,"
World Bank - Economic Premise,
The World Bank, issue 7, pages 1-4, March.
- Bilal Habib & Ambar Narayan & Sergio Olivieri & Carolina Sanchez, 2010. "The Impact of the Financial Crisis on Poverty and Income Distribution : Insights from Simulations in Selected Countries," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10206, The World Bank.
- Aaberge, Rolf, et al, 2000.
" Unemployment Shocks and Income Distribution: How Did the Nordic Countries Fare during Their Crises?,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(1), pages 77-99, March.
- Rolf Aaberge & Anders Björklund & Markus Jäntti & Peder J. Pedersen & Nina Smith & Tom Wennemo, 1997. "Unemployment Shocks and Income Distribution How Did the Nordic Countries Fare During their Crises?," Discussion Papers 201, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Financial Crises, Poverty, and Income Distribution," IMF Working Papers 02/4, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2012-255. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.