Inequality of opportunity for young people in Italy: Understanding the role of circumstances
In this paper we analyze the way in which changes in macro-economic circumstances and labour market institutions, that occurred in Italy over the ‘90s, affected the set of opportunities for young generations, amplify or shrinking existing inequalities. In particular we investigate whether they have modified the importance of the family background to reach certain labour outcomes (in terms of more or less secure employment). Results suggest that the effect of the social network of the father on early occupational outcomes is more related to changes in the macroeconomic circumstances than to institutional changes, and that the one on transitions is larger, in relative terms, in the late ‘90s than in the early ‘80s.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ecineq.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M. & Van Praag, Bernard M. S., 1981. "The demand for deductibles in private health insurance : A probit model with sample selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 229-252, November.
- Gabriella Berloffa & Paola Villa, 2010. "Differences In Equivalent Income Across Cohorts Of Households: Evidence From Italy," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(4), pages 693-714, December.
- Gagliarducci, Stefano, 2005. "The dynamics of repeated temporary jobs," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 429-448, August.
- repec:tur:wpaper:6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Irene Brunetti & Davide Fiaschi, 2010. "Intergenerational Mobility in Italy," Discussion Papers 2010/102, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Berloffa, Gabriella & Modena, Francesca, 2012.
"Economic well-being in Italy: The role of income insecurity and intergenerational inequality,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 751-765.
- Gabriella Berloffa & Francesca Modena, 2010. "Economic well-being in Italy: The role of income insecurity and intergenerational inequality," Working Papers 168, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Paola Giuliano, 2008. "Culture and the Family: An Application to Educational Choices in Italy," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 98(4), pages 3-38, July-Augu.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2011-241. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.