Visualizing Count Data Regressions Using Rootograms
We show how the rootogram - a graphical tool associated with the work of J. W. Tukey and originally used for assessing goodness of fit of univariate distributions - can help to diagnose and treat issues such as overdispersion and/or excess zeros in regression models for count data. Two empirical illustrations, from ethology and from public health, are included. The former employs a negative binomial hurdle regression, the latter a two-component finite mixture of negative binomial models for which weighted versions of rootograms are utilized.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uibk.ac.at/fakultaeten/volkswirtschaft_und_statistik/index.html.en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deb, Partha & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1997. "Demand for Medical Care by the Elderly: A Finite Mixture Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 313-36, May-June.
- Bettina Grün & Friedrich Leisch, . "FlexMix Version 2: Finite Mixtures with Concomitant Variables and Varying and Constant Parameters," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 28(i04).
- repec:cup:cbooks:9781107667273 is not listed on IDEAS
- Friedrich Leisch, . "FlexMix: A General Framework for Finite Mixture Models and Latent Class Regression in R," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(i08).
- D. Mikis Stasinopoulos & Robert A. Rigby, . "Generalized Additive Models for Location Scale and Shape (GAMLSS) in R," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 23(i07).
- Cameron, A. Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K., 1990. "Regression-based tests for overdispersion in the Poisson model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 347-364, December.
- R. A. Rigby & D. M. Stasinopoulos, 2005. "Generalized additive models for location, scale and shape," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 54(3), pages 507-554.
- John Fox, . "Effect Displays in R for Generalised Linear Models," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(i15).
- Achim Zeileis & Christian Kleiber & Simon Jackman, .
"Regression Models for Count Data in R,"
Journal of Statistical Software,
American Statistical Association, vol. 27(i08).
- Mullahy, John, 1986. "Specification and testing of some modified count data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 341-365, December.
- Mullahy, John, 1997. "Heterogeneity, Excess Zeros, and the Structure of Count Data Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 337-50, May-June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9781107014169 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inn:wpaper:2014-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janette Walde)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.