Uncertainty of Governmental Relief and the Crowding out of Insurance
This paper discusses the problem of crowding out of insurance by co-existing governmental relief programs - so-called 'charity hazard' - in a context of different institutional schemes of governmental relief in Austria and Germany. We test empirically whether an assured partial relief scheme (as in Austria) drives a stronger crowding out of private insurance than a scheme promising full relief which is subject to ad hoc political decision making (as in Germany). Our general finding is that the institutional design of governmental relief programs significantly affects the demand for private natural hazard insurance.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitätsstraße 15, A - 6020 Innsbruck|
Web page: http://www.uibk.ac.at/fakultaeten/volkswirtschaft_und_statistik/index.html.en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kunreuther, Howard C. & Michel-Kerjan, Erwann O., 2011.
"At War with the Weather: Managing Large-Scale Risks in a New Era of Catastrophes,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262516543.
- Howard C. Kunreuther & Erwann O. Michel-Kerjan, 2009. "At War with the Weather: Managing Large-Scale Risks in a New Era of Catastrophes," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262012820.
- Bum J. Kim & Harris Schlesinger, 2004.
"Adverse Selection in an Insurance Market with Government-Guaranteed Subsistence Levels,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1217, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bum J. Kim & Harris Schlesinger, 2005. "Adverse Selection in an Insurance Market With Government-Guaranteed Subsistence Levels," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(1), pages 61-75.
- Lewis, Tracy & Nickerson, David, 1989. "Self-insurance against natural disasters," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 209-223, May.
- Powell, James L, 1986. "Symmetrically Trimmed Least Squares Estimation for Tobit Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1435-60, November.
- Browne, Mark J & Hoyt, Robert E, 2000. "The Demand for Flood Insurance: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 291-306, May.
- Mary Kelly & Anne E. Kleffner, 2003. "Optimal Loss Mitigation and Contract Design," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(1), pages 53-72.
- Louis Kaplow, 1989.
"Incentives and Government Relief for Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
3007, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Einhorn, Hillel J & Hogarth, Robin M, 1986. "Decision Making under Ambiguity," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages S225-50, October.
- Reimund Schwarze & Gert G Wagner, 2004.
"In the Aftermath of Dresden: New Directions in German Flood Insurance,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(2), pages 154-168, April.
- Reimund Schwarze & Gert G. Wagner, 2004. "In the Aftermath of Dresden: New Directions in German Flood Insurance," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance, The International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics, vol. 29(2), pages 154-168, 04.
- Marcel A.P.M. van Asseldonk & Miranda P.M. Meuwissen & Ruud B.M. Huirne, 2002. "Belief in Disaster Relief and the Demand for a Public-Private Insurance Program," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 196-207.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Russell S. Sobel, 2002.
"The political economy of FEMA disaster payments,"
2002-012, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Kenneth Y. Chay & James L. Powell, 2001. "Semiparametric Censored Regression Models," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 29-42, Fall.
- Skeels, Christopher L. & Vella, Francis, 1999. "A Monte Carlo investigation of the sampling behavior of conditional moment tests in Tobit and Probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 275-294, October.
- Lanny Arvan & David Nickerson, 2006. "Private Investment, Public Aid and Endogenous Divergence in the Evolution of Urban Neighborhoods," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 83-100, February.
- Paul Raschky & Hannelore Weck-Hannemann, 2007. "Charity hazard - A real hazard to natural disaster insurance," Working Papers 2007-04, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1984. "Tobit models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 3-61.
- Erwann O. Michel-Kerjan & Carolyn Kousky, 2010.
"Come Rain or Shine: Evidence on Flood Insurance Purchases in Florida,"
Journal of Risk & Insurance,
The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 77(2), pages 369-397.
- Erwann Michel-Kerjan & Carolyn Kousky, 2009. "Come Rain or Shine: Evidence on Flood Insurance Purchases in Florida," Working Papers hal-00372387, HAL.
- Marielle Brunette & Laure Cabantous & Stéphane Couture & Anne Stenger, 2008. "Insurance Demand for Disaster-type Risks and the Separation of Attitudes toward Risk and Ambiguity: an Experimental Study," Working Papers - Cahiers du LEF 2008-05, Laboratoire d'Economie Forestiere, AgroParisTech-INRA.
- Coate, Stephen, 1995. "Altruism, the Samaritan's Dilemma, and Government Transfer Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 46-57, March.
- Bradley Jorgensen & Geoffrey Syme & Brian Bishop & Blair Nancarrow, 1999. "Protest Responses in Contingent Valuation," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 14(1), pages 131-150, July.
- Botzen, W.J.W. & Aerts, J.C.J.H. & van den Bergh, J.C.J.M., 2009. "Willingness of homeowners to mitigate climate risk through insurance," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2265-2277, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inn:wpaper:2010-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janette Walde)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.