Credit Risk Contagion and the Global Financial Crisis
This paper investigates how the market valuation of credit risk changed during 2008-2009 via a separation of the probability of default (PD) and the loss given default (LGD) of credit default swaps ( CDSs), using the information implied by equity options. While the Lehman Brothers collapse in September 2008 harmed the stability of the financial systems in major industrialized countries, the CDS spreads of some major UK banks did not increase in response to this turmoil in financial markets including the decline in their own stock prices. This implies that the CDS spreads of financial institutions may not reflect all their credit risk due to the government interventions. Since CDS spreads are not appropriate to analyze the impact of the government interventions on credit risk and the cross sectional movement of credit risk, we investigate how the government interventions affect the PD and LGD of financial institutions and how the PD and LGD of financial institutions were related with those of non-financial firms. We demonstrate that the rise in the credit risk of financial institutions did not bring about that of non-financial firms (credit risk contagion) both in the US and UK using principal component analysis.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1-1 Nihonbashi, Hongoku-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103|
Web page: http://www.imes.boj.or.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maximilian J. B. Hall, 2009. "Bank Bailout Mark "Ii" : Will It Work?," Discussion Paper Series 2009_01, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jan 2009.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2009.
"Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(6), pages 2201-2238, June.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 6179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lasse Heje Pederson & Markus K Brunnermeier, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," FMG Discussion Papers dp580, Financial Markets Group.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market liquidity and funding liquidity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24478, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 12939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Gârleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Valuation in Over-the-Counter Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(6), pages 1865-1900, November.
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2006. "Valuation in Over-the-Counter Markets," NBER Working Papers 12020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duffie, Darrell & Garleanu, Nicolae Bogdan & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2006. "Valuation in Over-the-Counter Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 5491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1992. " Liquidation Values and Debt Capacity: A Market Equilibrium Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1343-1366, September.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1992. "Liquidation Values and Debt Capacity: A Market Equilibrium Approach," Scholarly Articles 27692663, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2010. "Stock Options and Credit Default Swaps: A Joint Framework for Valuation and Estimation," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 8(4), pages 409-449, Fall.
- Forte, Santiago & Peña Sánchez de Rivera, Juan Ignacio, 2006. "Credit spreads: theory and evidence about the information content of stocks, bonds and cdss," DEE - Working Papers. Business Economics. WB wb063310, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-470, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Darrell Duffie, 2012. "Over-The-Counter Markets," Introductory Chapters,in: Dark Markets: Asset Pricing and Information Transmission in Over-the-Counter Markets Princeton University Press.
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2005. "Over-the-Counter Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(6), pages 1815-1847, November.
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2004. "Over-the-Counter Markets," NBER Working Papers 10816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Heise & R. Kühn, 2012. "Derivatives and credit contagion in interconnected networks," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 85(4), pages 1-19, April.
- Sebastian Heise & Reimer Kuehn, 2012. "Derivatives and Credit Contagion in Interconnected Networks," Papers 1202.3025, arXiv.org.
- Arora, Navneet & Gandhi, Priyank & Longstaff, Francis A., 2012. "Counterparty credit risk and the credit default swap market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 280-293.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1999. "Modeling Term Structures of Defaultable Bonds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 687-720.
- Edward I. Altman & Brooks Brady & Andrea Resti & Andrea Sironi, 2005. "The Link between Default and Recovery Rates: Theory, Empirical Evidence, and Implications," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2203-2228, November.
- Darrell Duffie & Bruno Strulovici, 2012. "Capital Mobility and Asset Pricing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(6), pages 2469-2509, November.
- Bruno Strulovici & Darrell Duffie, 2009. "Capital Mobility and Asset Pricing," 2009 Meeting Papers 87, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Darrell Duffie & Bruno Strulovici, 2009. "Capital Mobility and Asset Pricing," Discussion Papers 1478, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Darrell Duffie & Bruno Strulovici, 2011. "Capital Mobility and Asset Pricing," NBER Working Papers 17296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Azusa Takeyama & Nick Constantinou & Dmitri Vinogradov, 2012. "A Framework for Extracting the Probability of Default from Stock Option Prices," IMES Discussion Paper Series 12-E-14, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Dawkins, Mark C. & Bhattacharya, Nilabhra & Bamber, Linda Smith, 2007. "Systematic Share Price Fluctuations after Bankruptcy Filings and the Investors Who Drive Them," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(02), pages 399-419, June.
- Ceyla Pazarbasioglu & Luc Laeven & Oana M Nedelescu & Stijn Claessens & Fabian Valencia & Marc Dobler & Katharine Seal, 2011. "Crisis Management and Resolution; Early Lessons from the Financial Crisis," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 11/05, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ime:imedps:12-e-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kinken)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.