Robust Normative Comparisons of Socially Risky Situations
In this paper, we characterize and empirically implement robust normative criteria for comparing societies on the basis of their allocations of risks among their members. Risks are modelled as lotteries on the set of distributions of state-contingent pecuniary consequences. Individuals are assumed to have individualistic Von Neuman-Morgenstern preferences for these risks. Appealing to Harsanyi’s aggregation theorem, we provide empirically implementable criteria that coincide with the unanimity, over all such individual preferences, of anonymous and Pareto-inclusive Von Neuman Morgenstern social rankings of risks. The empirically implementable criteria can be interpreted as sequential expected poverty dominance. Illustrations of the usefulness of the criteria for comparing the exposure to unemployment risk of different segments of the French and US workforce and for appraising the evolution, over time, of risks of violent crimes in India are also provided.
|Date of creation:||15 Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:||15 Oct 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2, rue de la Charité 13002 Marseille|
Web page: http://www.idep-fr.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Nicolas Gravel & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay, 2010.
"Is India better off today than 15 years ago? A robust multidimensional answer,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 173-195, June.
- Nicolas Gravel & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay, 2007. "Is India Better off Today than 15 Years ago? A Robust Multidimensional Answer," IDEP Working Papers 0704, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 18 May 2007.
- Nicolas Gravel, 2007. "Is India Better off Today Than 15 Years Ago? A Robust Multidimensional Answer," Working Papers id:1056, eSocialSciences.
- Nicolas Gravel & Patrick Moyes & Benoît Tarroux, 2009.
"Robust international comparisons of distributions of disposable income and regional public goods,"
- Nicolas Gravel & Patrick Moyes & Beno�T Tarroux, 2009. "Robust International Comparisons of Distributions of Disposable Income and Regional Public Goods," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(303), pages 432-461, 07.
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 1977. "Multidimensional Egalitarianisms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-13.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & David E. Sahn & Stephen D. Younger, 2006.
"Robust Multidimensional Poverty Comparisons,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(514), pages 943-968, October.
- Gottschalk, Peter & Moffitt, Robert, 1999. "Changes in Job Instability and Insecurity Using Monthly Survey Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages S91-126, October.
- Indranil Dutta & James Foster & Ajit Mishra, 2011.
"On measuring vulnerability to poverty,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 743-761, October.
- A. B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.-Y., 1998.
"Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality,"
98a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1435-1464, November.
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Cahiers de recherche 9805, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Givord, Pauline & Maurin, Eric, 2004.
"Changes in job security and their causes: An empirical analysis for France, 1982-2002,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 595-615, June.
- Givord, Pauline & Maurin, Eric, 2003. "Changes in Job Security and their Causes: An Empirical Analysis for France, 1982-2002," CEPR Discussion Papers 3830, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jenkins, Stephen P & Lambert, Peter J, 1993. "Ranking Income Distributions When Needs Differ," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 39(4), pages 337-56, December.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1955. "Cardinal Welfare, Individualistic Ethics, and Interpersonal Comparisons of Utility," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63, pages 309.
- Viscusi, W Kip & Evans, William N, 1990. "Utility Functions That Depend on Health Status: Estimates and Economic Implications," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 353-74, June.
- Nicolas Gravel & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay & Benoit Tarroux, 2008. "Policy focus: A robust normative evaluation of India's performance in allocating risks of death," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 95-111, April.
- Jakobsson, Ulf, 1976. "On the measurement of the degree of progression," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1-2), pages 161-168.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc, .
"Assessing risky social situations,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2289, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marc Fleurbaey, 2009. "Assessing risky social situations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 27006, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Marc Fleurbaey, 2007. "Assessing Risky Social Situations," IDEP Working Papers 0703, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised Jan 2007.
- Clark, Andrew E & Oswald, Andrew J, 1994. "Unhappiness and Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 648-59, May.
- N. Gravel & Patrick Moyes & B. Tarroux, 2008. "Robust international comparisons of distributions of disposable income and access to regional public goods," Post-Print hal-00157357, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iep:wpidep:0806. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yves Doazan)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Yves Doazan to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.