The Pareto principle of optimal inequality
The Pareto principle is often viewed as a mild requirement compatible with a variety of value judgements. In particular, it is generally thought that it can accommodate different degress of inequality aversion. We show that this is generally not true in time consistent intertemporal models where some uncertainty prevails.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myerson, Roger B, 1981. "Utilitarianism, Egalitarianism, and the Timing Effect in Social Choice Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 883-97, June.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1980. "A single-parameter generalization of the Gini indices of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Karni, Edi & Schmeidler, David, 1991.
"Atemporal dynamic consistency and expected utility theory,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 401-408, August.
- Schmeidler, D. & Karni, E., 1990. "A Temporal Dynamic Consistency And Expected Utility Theory," Papers 39-90, Tel Aviv.
- Kristof Bosmans, 2007.
"Comparing degrees of inequality aversion,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 405-428, October.
- Kristof Bosmans, 2006. "Comparing degrees of inequality aversion," Public Economics Working Paper Series ineqav, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Kristof Bosmans, 2005. "Comparing degrees of inequality aversion," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0517, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Ian Jewitt, 1989. "Choosing Between Risky Prospects: The Characterization of Comparative Statics Results, and Location Independent Risk," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(1), pages 60-70, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2009009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.