Ordinal Welfare Comparisons with Multiple Discrete Indicators: A First Order Dominance Approach and Application to Child Poverty
We develop an ordinal method for making welfare comparisons between populations with multidimensional discrete well-being indicators observed at the micro level. The approach assumes that, for each well-being indicator, the levels can be ranked from worse to better; however, no assumptions are made about relative importance of any dimension nor about complementarity/substitutability relationships between dimensions. The method is based on the concept of multidimensional first order dominance. We introduce a rapid and reliable algorithm for empirically determining whether one population dominates another on the basis of available binary indicators by drawing upon linear programming theory. These approaches are applied to household survey data from Vietnam and Mozambique with a focus on child poverty comparisons over time and between regions.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Østerdal, Lars Peter, 2010. "The mass transfer approach to multivariate discrete first order stochastic dominance: Direct proof and implications," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 1222-1228, November.
- Muller, Christophe & Trannoy, Alain, 2011.
"A dominance approach to the appraisal of the distribution of well-being across countries,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(3-4), pages 239-246, April.
- Muller, Christophe & Trannoy, Alain, 2011. "A dominance approach to the appraisal of the distribution of well-being across countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 239-246.
- Johannes Gräb & Michael Grimm, 2007.
"Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
160, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Grimm, Michael & Gräb, Johannes, 2007. "Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Göttingen 2007 8, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Gräb, Johannes & Grimm, Michael, 2006. "Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4330, Paris Dauphine University.
- Johannes Gräb & Michael Grimm, 2007. "Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 725, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Johannes Gräb & Michael Grimm, 2007. "Robust Multiperiod Poverty Comparisons," Working Papers DT/2007/12, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Nicolas Gravel & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay, 2010.
"Is India better off today than 15 years ago? A robust multidimensional answer,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 173-195, June.
- Nicolas Gravel & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay, 2007. "Is India Better off Today than 15 Years ago? A Robust Multidimensional Answer," IDEP Working Papers 0704, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 18 May 2007.
- Nicolas Gravel, 2007. "Is India Better off Today Than 15 Years Ago? A Robust Multidimensional Answer," Working Papers id:1056, eSocialSciences.
- Ian Crawford, 2005. "A nonparametric test of stochastic dominance in multivariate distributions," School of Economics Discussion Papers 1205, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Alkire, Sabina, 2008. "Choosing Dimensions: The Capability Approach and Multidimensional Poverty," MPRA Paper 8862, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roelen, Keetie & Gassmann, Franziska, 2008. "Measuring Child Poverty and Well-Being: a literature review," MPRA Paper 8981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yélé Maweki Batana & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2010. "Comparing Multidimensional Poverty with Qualitative Indicators of Well-Being," Cahiers de recherche 1004, CIRPEE.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Sahn, David & Younger, Stephen D., 2001.
"Robust Multidimensional Poverty Comparisons,"
Cahiers de recherche
0115, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Levhari, David & Paroush, Jacob & Peleg, Bezalel, 1975. "Efficiency Analysis for Multivariate Distributions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 87-91, January.
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931, March.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 476-487, August.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Bourguignon, Francois, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201, April.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1989. "Family size and social utility : Income distribution dominance criteria," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 67-80, September.
- Nicole Rippin, 2010. "Poverty Severity in a Multidimensional Framework: The Issue of Inequality between Dimensions," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 47, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Channing Arndt & Andres Garcia & Finn Tarp & James Thurlow, 2012.
"Poverty Reduction and Economic Structure: Comparative Path Analysis for Mozambique and Vietnam,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 58(4), pages 742-763, December.
- Channing Arndt & Andres Garcia & Finn Tarp & James Thurlow, 2010. "Poverty Reduction and Economic Structure Comparative Path Analysis for Mozambique and Vietnam," Working Paper Series wp2010-122, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Keetie Roelen & Franziska Gassmann & Chris Neubourg, 2010. "Child Poverty in Vietnam: Providing Insights Using a Country-Specific and Multidimensional Model," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 129-145, August.
- Christoffer Sonne-Schmidt & Finn Tarp & Lars Peter Østerdal, 2008. "Ordinal Comparison of Multidimensional Deprivation: theory and application," Discussion Papers 08-33, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Sonne-Schmidt, Christoffer & Tarp, Finn & Osterdal, Lars Peter, 2013. "Ordinal multidimensional inequality," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Vijay S. Bawa & Eric B. Lindenberg & Lawrence C. Rafsky, 1979. "An Efficient Algorithm to Determine Stochastic Dominance Admissible Sets," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(7), pages 609-622, July.
- Nicolas Gravel & Patrick Moyes & Beno�T Tarroux, 2009. "Robust International Comparisons of Distributions of Disposable Income and Regional Public Goods," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(303), pages 432-461, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:kuiedp:1113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.