The Demand for Mortgages under Macro Volatility: The Argentine Case
This paper analyzes mortgage loan demand in Argentina using a new survey administered in the Buenos Aires Metropolitan Area. It is found that recurring macro volatility and violation of financial property rights have increased demand for real estate as an investment, which in turn raises house prices and makes it more difficult for consumer households to meet minimum income requirements for obtaining a mortgage. Affordability thus seems to offer a better explanation than standard supply side constraints for the small size of the mortgage market in Argentina. Overall, the findings suggest that the shallow mortgage market has not posed a major impediment to home ownership rate in Argentina and that the small (and shrinking) mortgage market has more to do with lack of demand than credit supply constraints.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duca, John V. & Rosenthal, Stuart S., 1994. "Borrowing constraints and access to owner-occupied housing," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 301-322, June.
- Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps, 2000.
"Credit Constraints in Manufacturing Enterprises in Africa,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2000-24, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Cathy Patillo & M�ns S–derbom & Francis Teal & Albert Zeufack, 2003. "Credit Constraints in Manufacturing Enterprises in Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(1), pages 104-125, March.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Måns Söderbom & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Catherine Pattillo & Francis Teal & Albert Zeu, 2000. "Credit constraints in manufacturing enterprises in Africa," CSAE Working Paper Series 2000-24, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Sven Rady, 2001.
"Housing Market Dynamics: on the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp375, Financial Markets Group.
- Sven Rady & François Ortalo-Magné, 2001. "Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints," CESifo Working Paper Series 470, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ortalo-Magné, François & Rady, Sven, 2005. "Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraint," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 50, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Ortalo-Magné, François & Rady, Sven, 2001. "Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 3015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- François Ortalo-Magné & Sven Rady, 2002. "Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 02-01, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Sanders, Anthony B., 2005. "Barriers to homeownership and housing quality: The impact of the international mortgage market," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 147-152, September.
- Auguste, Sebastian & Dominguez, Kathryn M.E. & Kamil, Herman & Tesar, Linda L., 2006.
"Cross-border trading as a mechanism for implicit capital flight: ADRs and the Argentine crisis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1259-1295, October.
- Sebastian Auguste & Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Herman Kamil & Linda L. Tesar, 2005. "Cross-Border Trading as a Mechanism for Implicit Capital Flight: ADRs and the Argentine Crisis," Working Papers 533, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Francois Ortalo-Magne & Sven Rady, 1998.
"Boom In, Bust Out: Young Households and the Housing Price Cycle,"
9810004, EconWPA, revised 25 Oct 1998.
- Ortalo-Magne, Francois & Rady, Sven, 1999. "Boom in, bust out: Young households and the housing price cycle," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 755-766, April.
- Sven Rady, 1998. "Boom In, Bust Out: Young Households and the Housing Price Cycle," FMG Discussion Papers dp310, Financial Markets Group.
- Tullio Jappelli, 1990. "Who is Credit Constrained in the U. S. Economy?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(1), pages 219-234.
- Feder, Gershon & Lau, Lawrence J. & Lin, Justin Y. & Xiaopeng, Luo, 1989. "Agricultural credit and farm performance in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 508-526, December.
- Kochar, Anjini, 1997. "An empirical investigation of rationing constraints in rural credit markets in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 339-371, August.
- Bebczuk, Ricardo N., 2010.
"Acceso al financiamiento de las PYMES en Argentina: estado de situación y propuestas de política,"
Financiamiento para el Desarrollo
227, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Ricardo Bebczuk, 2010. "Acceso al financiamiento de las PYMES en Argentina: Estado de situación y propuestas de política," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0104, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Maria Concetta Chiuri & Tullio Jappelli, 2000.
"Financial Market Imperfections and Home Ownership: A Comparative Study,"
CSEF Working Papers
44, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Dec 2000.
- Chiuri, Maria Concetta & Jappelli, Tullio, 2003. "Financial market imperfections and home ownership: A comparative study," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(5), pages 857-875, October.
- Chiuri, Maria Concetta & Jappelli, Tullio, 2001. "Financial Market Imperfections and Home Ownership: A Comparative Study," CEPR Discussion Papers 2717, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Feder, Gershon & Lau, Lawrence J. & Lin, Justin Y. & Xiaopeng Luo, 1991. "Credit's effect on productivity in Chinese agriculture : a microeconomic model of disequilibrium," Policy Research Working Paper Series 571, The World Bank.
- Baydas, Mayada M. & Meyer, Richard L. & Aguilera-Alfred, Nelson, 1994. "Discrimination against women in formal credit markets: Reality or rhetoric?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1073-1082, July.
- Jose Maria Fanelli & Ricardo N. Bebczuk & Juan J. Pradelli, 2002. "Determinants and Consequences of Financial Constraints Facing Firms in Argentina," Research Department Publications 3147, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- David Mushinski, 1999. "An analysis of offer functions of banks and credit unions in Guatemala," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 88-112.
- repec:idb:brikps:79340 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4751. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.