Real State as Housing and as Financial Investment: A First Assessment for Argentina
There exists a widespread perception that Argentine households channel a large share of their savings into real state. However, no hard evidence has produced to date to measure how important this saving behavior is for the determination of housing prices vis-à-vis the traditional housing motive to buy property. In this light, this paper assesses for the first time whether housing prices in Argentina are mostly driven by housing or by investment motives. To this end, we devised a simple empirical test taking the form of an Equilibrium Correction model of apartment prices in Buenos Aires City on four explanatory variables that separately capture the housing motive (affordability and mortgage loans) and the investment motive (private bank deposits and income). It is found that private bank deposits and income have strong long and short run effects on housing prices behavior. Affordability only shows a short run effect, while mortgage loans turn out to be non-significant. These findings suggest, in line with the popular view on this topic, that real state fulfills a prominent role as a financial investment in Argentina.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Calle 48 No555 - La Plata (1900)|
Phone: 21- 1466
Web page: http://www.depeco.econo.unlp.edu.ar/doctrab.php
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Broner, Fernando A & Martin, Alberto & Ventura, Jaume, 2007.
"Enforcement Problems and Secondary Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6498, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fernando A. Broner & Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2007. "Enforcement Problems and Secondary Markets," NBER Working Papers 13559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fernando Broner & Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2007. "Enforcement problems and secondary markets," Economics Working Papers 1049, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Cointegration in partial systems and the efficiency of single-equation analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 389-402, June.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Guy Laroque, 1987.
"Asset Pricing and Optimal Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Illiquid Durable Consumption Goods,"
NBER Working Papers
2369, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Laroque, Guy, 1990. "Asset Pricing and Optimal Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Illiquid Durable Consumption Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 25-51, January.
- Sanford J Grossman & Guy Laroque, 2003. "Asset Pricing and Optimal Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Illiquid Durable Consumption Goods," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000803, David K. Levine.
- Agarwal, Sumit & Chomsisengphet, Souphala & Hassler, Olivier, 2005. "The impact of the 2001 financial crisis and the economic policy responses on the Argentine mortgage market," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 242-270, September.
- Juselius, Katarina, 2006. "The Cointegrated VAR Model: Methodology and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199285679, December.
- Luis M. Viceira, 1999.
"Optimal Portfolio Choice for Long-Horizon Investors with Nontradable Labor Income,"
NBER Working Papers
7409, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luis M. Viceira, 2001. "Optimal Portfolio Choice for Long-Horizon Investors with Nontradable Labor Income," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 433-470, 04.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2007.
"Markets and Housing Finance,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2007. "Markets and Housing Finance," NBER Working Papers 13081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2008. "Markets and Housing Finance," Working Papers 032008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Tullio Jappelli, 1990. "Who is Credit Constrained in the U. S. Economy?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(1), pages 219-234.
- Julia Campos & Neil R. Ericsson, 2000.
"Constructive data mining: modeling consumers' expenditure in Venezuela,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
663, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Julia Campos & Neil R. Ericsson, 1999. "Contructive data mining: modeling consumers' expenditure in Venezuela," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(2), pages 226-240.
- Hendry, David F. & Massmann, Michael, 2007. "Co-Breaking: Recent Advances and a Synopsis of the Literature," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 33-51, January.
- Sebastián Auguste & Ricardo N. Bebczuk & Ramiro Moya, 2011.
"The Demand for Mortgages under Macro Volatility: The Argentine Case,"
Research Department Publications
4751, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Sebastián Auguste & Ricardo Bebczuk & Ramiro Moya, 2012. "The Demand for Mortgages under Macro Volatility: The Argentine Case," Department of Economics, Working Papers 091, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Ricardo Bebczuk, 2010.
"Acceso al financiamiento de las PYMES en Argentina: Estado de situación y propuestas de política,"
CEDLAS, Working Papers
0104, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Bebczuk, Ricardo N., 2010. "Acceso al financiamiento de las PYMES en Argentina: estado de situación y propuestas de política," Financiamiento para el Desarrollo 227, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Hildegart A. Ahumada & Maria Lorena Garegnani, 2005. "Testing the Exogeneity of Argentine Devaluation and Default Risks in Retrospect," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(5), pages 647-672, October.
- Heaton, John & Lucas, Deborah, 1997. "Market Frictions, Savings Behavior, And Portfolio Choice," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 76-101, January.
- Heaton, John & Lucas, Deborah, 2000. "Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Background Risk," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 1-26, January.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lap:wpaper:095. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diego Fernandez Felices)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.