Kuznets and Pasinetti on the Study of Structural Transformation: Never the Twain Shall Meet?
The main characteristics of the economic growth of nations are a sustained increase in the growth of output and factor productivity and a widespread process of structural transformation. In this paper I contrast two of the few important authors that do not ignore structural change: Kuznets and Pasinetti. Over several decades the two approaches have developed in an almost orthogonal manner. I discuss the reasons and evaluate the use of the approaches in the study of economic development.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Unione Sovietica, 218bis - 10134 Torino - Italy|
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706062
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio Rebelo & Piyabha Kongsamut & Danyang Xie, 2001.
"Beyond Balanced Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
01/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sérgio & Xie, Danyang, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kongsamut, P. & Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1997. "Beyong Balanced Growth," RCER Working Papers 438, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," NBER Working Papers 6159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abramovitz,Moses, 1989. "Thinking about Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521333962, December.
- Arndt, H. W., 1985. "The origins of structuralism," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 151-159, February.
- Ngai, L. Rachel & Pissarides, Christopher A., 2007.
"Trends in Hours and Economic Growth,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2540, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2006. "Trends in Hours and Economic Growth," CEP Discussion Papers dp0746, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2006. "Trends in Hours and Economic Growth," 2006 Meeting Papers 56, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2006. "Trends in hours and economic growth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4462, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ngai, Liwa Rachel & Pissarides, Christopher, 2005. "Trends in Hours and Economic Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 5440, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2008. "Trends in hours and economic growth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3828, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kuznets, Simon, 1971.
"Modern Economic Growth: Findings and Reflections,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1971-2, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Silva, Ester G. & Teixeira, Aurora A.C., 2008.
"Surveying structural change: Seminal contributions and a bibliometric account,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 273-300, December.
- Ester Gomes da Silva & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2006. "Surveying structural change: seminal contributions and a bibliometric account," FEP Working Papers 232, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1988.
"Learning by Doing and the Introduction of New Goods,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 701-717, August.
- Nancy L Stokey, 1986. "Learning-by-Doing and the Introduction of New Goods," Discussion Papers 699, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science, revised May 1987.
- David Colander, 2000. "New Millennium Economics: How Did It Get This Way, and What Way Is It?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(1), pages 121-132, Winter.
- John Stanley Metcalfe, 2003. "Industrial Growth and the Theory of Retardation. Precursors of an Adaptive Evolutionary Theory of EconomicChange," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 54(2), pages 407-431.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2002.
"Reversal of Fortune: Geography and Institutions in the Making of the Modern World Income Distribution,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 117(4), pages 1231-1294.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001. "Reversal of Fortune: Geography and Institutions in the Making of the Modern World Income Distribution," NBER Working Papers 8460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vivian Walsh, 2003. "Sen after Putnam," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 315-394.
- Robert W. Fogel, 1987. "Some Notes on the Scientific Methods of Simon Kuznets," NBER Working Papers 2461, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pasinetti,Luigi, 1993. "Structural Economic Dynamics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521432825, December.
- Syrquin, Moshe, 1988. "Patterns of structural change," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 203-273 Elsevier.
- Syrquin, Moshe & Chenery, Hollis, 1989. "Three decades of industrialization," MPRA Paper 32771, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pier Paolo Saviotti, 2001. "special issue: Variety, growth and demand," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 119-142.
- Pier Saviotti & Andreas Pyka, 2004. "Economic development by the creation of new sectors," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 1-35, January.
- Malinvaud, E, 1995. "Luigi Pasinetti's Structural Economic Dynamics: A Review Essay," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 59-69, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpicer:46-2007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.