On Money as an Institution
In this paper I am going to explore some of the major theoretical concepts and ideas in Luca Fantacci’s work devoted to the history of money. As a historical check on Fantacci’s theory I will present various moments in Russian monetary history interpreted in the light of the ideas of the La moneta: storia di un’instituzione mancata. I will compare Fantacci’s theory of division between the unit of account and the medium of exchange with those of Walther Eucken and the Austrian School as well as of some other contemporary authors. A new institutional reading of the evolution of money “money as an institutional compound” is proposed.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Unione Sovietica, 218bis - 10134 Torino - Italy|
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706062
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Randall Wray, 1998.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Y. Rizopoulos, 2003. "Extreme Monetary Regime Change. Evidence from Currency Board Introduction in Bulgaria," Post-Print halshs-00259844, HAL.
- George A. Selgin & Lawrence H. White, 1994.
"How Would the Invisible Hand Handle Money?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1718-1749, December.
- Fantacci, Luca, 2008. "The dual currency system of Renaissance Europe," Financial History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(01), pages 55-72, April.
- L. Randall Wray, 2002. "State Money," International Journal of Political Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(3), pages 23-40, October.
- Francois R. Velde, 1998. "Lessons from the history of money," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q I, pages 2-16.
- Menger, Carl, 1892. "On the Origins of Money," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 2, pages 239-255.
- Searle, John R., 2005. "What is an institution?," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 1-22, June.
- G. Hodgson., 2007. "What Are Institutions?," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 8.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpicer:12-2009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.