Farmer Participation, the Dairy Industry, and the Rise of Dairy Production in China
With rapid income growth, dairy production and consumption in China have increased significantly. This emergence of the dairy sector will provide opportunities for farmers to participate in a high-value, potentially more lucrative enterprise. The overall goal of this paper is to analyze the major determinants of farmers' participation in dairy production. Our main question is whether or not the pace of the emergence of the dairy processing industry has affected the ability of farmers to participate in dairy production and whether or not it has limited the expansion of their herd size. Based on household, village and processor surveys conducted in the Greater Beijing region, our analysis shows that the location of dairy processing firms is one of the key factors that determines the participation of farmers in dairy production. Although other factors affect participation and herd size-for example, access to roads and the ability to get a job off the farm (which affects the opportunity cost of household members)-access to dairy processors is shown to be the major factor that has encouraged the growth of dairy production over the past decade. The results also show that poor, less educated farmers with relatively less access to land are not excluded from the rapid expansion of the Greater Beijing dairy market.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 578 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Web page: http://www.fapri.iastate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fuller, Frank H. & Huang, Jikun & Ma, Hengyun & Rozelle, Scott, 2005.
"Got Milk? The Rapid Rise of China's Dairy Sector and Its Future Prospects,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
12363, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fuller, Frank & Huang, Jikun & Ma, Hengyun & Rozelle, Scott, 2006. "Got milk? The rapid rise of China's dairy sector and its future prospects," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 201-215, June.
- Frank H. Fuller & John C. Beghin & Dinghuan Hu & Scott Rozelle, 2004.
"China's Dairy Market: Consumer Demand Survey and Supply Characteristics,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
04-sr99, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Frank H. Fuller & John C. Beghin & Dinghuan Hu & Scott Rozelle, 2004. "China's Dairy Market: Consumer Demand Survey and Supply Characteristics," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 04-sr99, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Huang, Jikun. & Bouis, Howarth E., 1996.
"Structural changes in the demand for food in Asia.:,"
2020 vision discussion papers
11, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ias:fpaper:08-wp476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.