Structural changes in the demand for food in Asia
Many Asian countries are expected to undergo transformations in their economies and rapid urbanization over the next 25 years. The changes in tastes and lifestyles engendered by urban living are likely to have significant influences on food demand influences perhaps as strong as the well-documented effects of household in comes and food prices. Changes in marketing systems and occupations, closely linked with increasing gross national product (GNP) per capita, also may influence the demand for food. the authors consider possible causes of structural shifts in diet. They present statistics from Taiwan household expenditure surveys and from data from provincial China. Based on their research, they suggest policy implications for the year 2020.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2033 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20006|
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sahn, David E. & Alderman, Harold, 1988. "The effects of human capital on wages, and the determinants of labor supply in a developing country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 157-183, September.
- Huang, Jikun & David, Cristina C., 1993.
"Demand for cereal grains in Asia: the effect of urbanization,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(2), pages -, February.
- Huang, Jikun & David, Cristina C., 1993. "Demand for cereal grains in Asia: The effect of urbanization," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 107-124, February.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1990. "Income Effects on Undernutrition," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(3), pages 489-515, April.
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Tsai, Reyfong & Kirby, Raymond & Williams, Gary W., 1994. "A Comparison Of Demands For Meat Products In The Pacific Rim Region," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:2020br:41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.