Dynamic Properties of Income Support Receipt in Australia
Using administrative records on Australian income support (welfare) recipients over the period July 1995 to June 2002, we examine dynamic properties of income support receipt and the personal characteristics associated with alternative patterns of receipt. We draw on three concepts: churning – the process of ending a spell on income support and subsequently commencing a new spell; transferring – moving from one payment-type to another within a spell on income support; and Total proportion of Time On income support (TTO) – the proportion of time on income support in a given period. We find that churning and transferring are significant features of income support receipt in Australia. For example, over half of recipients churn within five years of commencing an income support spell, and onefifth make a payment transfer within the same time frame. Examination of the characteristics associated with each of five distinct patterns of receipt reveals substantial differences in patterns by age, family composition, unemployment status, health status, and recent history of income support receipt.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hilary W. Hoynes & Kenneth Y. Chay & Dean Hyslop, 2004. "True State Dependence In Monthly Welfare Participation:A Nonexperimental Analysis," Working Papers 533, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Gong, Xiaodong, 2004. "Transition Patterns for the Welfare Reliance of Low Income Mothers in Australia," IZA Discussion Papers 1047, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gottschalk, Peter & Moffitt, Robert A, 1994. "Welfare Dependence: Concepts, Measures, and Trends," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 38-42, May.
- Barrett, Garry F, 2002. "The Dynamics of Participation in the Sole Parent Pension," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 78(240), pages 1-17, March.
- Yi-Ping Tseng & Roger Wilkins, 2003. "Reliance on Income Support in Australia: Prevalence and Persistence," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 79(245), pages 196-217, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iae:iaewps:wp2006n23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (James Davis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.