Duration dependence and time varying variables in discrete time duration models
This paper considers estimation of a dynamic discrete choice model with second order state dependence in the presence of strictly exogenous time-varying explanatory variables. We propose new method for estimating such models, and a small Monte Carlo study suggests that the method erforms well in practice. The method is used to test for duration dependence in labour market spells for French youth. The novelty in the application is that we are able to control for time-varying explanatory variables. In a discrete time duration model, duration dependence will result in second order state dependence, and the paper therefore also adds to the literature on estimation of duration models with unobserved heterogeneity.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bo Honore & Ekaterini Kyriazidou & J. L. Powell, 2000. "Estimation of tobit-type models with individual specific effects," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 341-366.
- Hilary W. Hoynes & Kenneth Y. Chay & Dean Hyslop, 2004. "True State Dependence In Monthly Welfare Participation:A Nonexperimental Analysis," Working Papers 533, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Anna Christina D'Addio & Michael Rosholm, . "Left-Censoring in Duration Data: Theory and Applications," Economics Working Papers 2002-5, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Chintagunta, Pradeep & Kyriazidou, Ekaterini & Perktold, Josef, 2001. "Panel data analysis of household brand choices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 111-153, July.
- Blanchard, O.J. & Diamond, P., 1990.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, And Wages,"
546, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- David Blanchflower, 1996. "Youth Labour Markets in 23 Countries: A Comparison Using Micro Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp0284, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Michael Spence, 1973. "Job Market Signaling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 87(3), pages 355-374.
- Manski, Charles F, 1987. "Semiparametric Analysis of Random Effects Linear Models from Binary Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 357-62, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpd:pd2002:d6-3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sune Karlsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.