Changes in the governance of employment services in Germany since 2003
"Institutional changes in the governance of employment services were the starting point of comprehensive labour market and social policy reforms - the so-called Hartz-reforms (2003-2005) - in Germany. Particularly with the Hartz IV reform in 2005 Germany's status- and occupation-oriented social protection regime has been relinquished for a larger share of dependent population. At the interface of labour market and social policy high shares of meanstested income support recipients are going to be activated now. In line with similar developments in other countries the challenge for Germany's public employment and social services is the jointly managing of activation measures and income support policies in order to increase employment and to avoid exclusion. To deal with this challenge several European countries have set up 'single gateways' and 'one-stop shops' by merging the administration of different income support schemes (unemployment, work disability, social assistance) with employment and welfare services. The changes in the realm of employment services in Germany, however, follow a different path. Instead of implementing a single gateway for all unemployed and inactive working age people a two-tier or even three-tier system was created: Public Employment Service (PES) offices for short-term unemployed and joint agencies combining former local PES and municipal social assistance (ARGEn) for recipients of the basic income support. This new structure of administrative bodies, a result of protracted federal negotiations, created governance problems and hampers an effective activation strategy for potential long-term unemployed. The paper aims at a preliminary assessment of the effects of changing governance in employment services and sets out probable paths of future adaptation to arrive at more coherent activation strategies for all employable persons on income support." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||25 Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regensburger Str. 104, D-90327 Nürnberg|
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Werner Eichhorst & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2007. "And Then There Were Four ...: How Many (and Which) Measures of Active Labor Market Policy Do We Still Need? ; Finding a Balance after the Evaluation of the Hartz Reforms in Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 685, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Eichhorst, Werner & Grienberger-Zingerle, Maria & Konle-Seidl, Regina, 2006.
"Activation Policies in Germany: From Status Protection to Basic Income Support,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2514, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Konle-Seidl, Regina & Eichhorst, Werner & Grienberger-Zingerle, Maria, 2007. "Activation policies in Germany : from status protection to basic income support," IAB Discussion Paper 200706, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Kaps, Petra & Schütz, Holger, 2007. "Privatisierung von Arbeitsvermittlungsdienstleistungen - Wundermittel zur Effizienzsteigerung? Eine Bestandsaufnahme deutscher und internationaler Erfahrungen," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Labor Market Policy and Employment SP I 2007-101, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:40:i:1:p:45-64 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fahr, René & Sunde, Uwe, 2006. "Did the Hartz Reforms Speed-Up Job Creation? A Macro-Evaluation Using Empirical Matching Functions," IZA Discussion Papers 2470, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jacobi, Lena & Kluve, Jochen, 2007. "Before and after the Hartz reforms: The performance of active labour market policy in Germany," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 40(1), pages 45-64.
- Rudolph, Helmut & Blos, Kerstin, 2005. "Schätzung der Auswirkungen des Hartz-IV-Gesetzes auf Arbeitslosenhilfe-Bezieher," IAB-Forschungsbericht 200514, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:200810. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.