Activation Policies in Germany: From Status Protection to Basic Income Support
This paper provides an overview of the sequential shift towards activating labor market and social policy in Germany. It not only shows the changes in the instruments of active and passives labor market policies but also analyzes the implications of this change for the political economy, the governance and the legal structure of a “Bismarckian” welfare state. Our study points at the changes in Germany’s status- and occupation-oriented unemployment benefit regime that has been relinquished for a larger share of dependent population. Unemployment insurance benefit duration is shorter now and newly created basic income support for needy persons is not earnings-related anymore. Pressure on unemployed to take up jobs has increased considerably while more persons than before have access to employment assistance. The paper also aims at a preliminary assessment of the effects of activating labor market policy on labor market as well as social outcomes and sets out probable paths of future adaptation.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Werner Eichhorst, Otto Kaufmann and Regina Konle-Seidl (eds.), Bringing the Jobless into Work? Berlin: Springer 2008; revised version published in: German Policy Studies, 2010, 6 (1), 59-100|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eichhorst, Werner, 2006. "Beschäftigung Älterer in Deutschland: Der unvollständige Paradigmenwechsel," IZA Discussion Papers 1985, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Karl Brenke, 2006. "Wachsender Niedriglohnsektor in Deutschland: sind MindestlÃ¶hne sinnvoll?," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 73(15/16), pages 197-206.
- Jochen Kluve & Lena Jacobi, 2006.
"Before and After the Hartz Reforms: The Performance of Active Labour Market Policy in Germany,"
RWI Discussion Papers
0041, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Jacobi, Lena & Kluve, Jochen, 2006. "Before and After the Hartz Reforms: The Performance of Active Labour Market Policy in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 2100, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Koch, Susanne & Walwei, Ulrich, 2005. "Hartz IV: Geht die Reform zu weit oder noch nicht weit genug?," Wirtschaftsdienst – Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftspolitik (1998 - 2007), ZBW – German National Library of Economics / Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, vol. 85(7), pages 411-417.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2514. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.