Activation policies in Germany : from status protection to basic income support
"This paper provides an overview of the sequential shift towards activating labour market and social policy in Germany. It not only shows the changes in the instruments of active and passives labour market policies but also analyzes the implications of this change for the political economy, the governance and the legal structure of a 'Bismarckian' welfare state. Our study points at the changes in Germany's status- and occupation-oriented unemployment benefit regime that has been relinquished for a larger share of dependent population. Unemployment insurance benefit duration is shorter now and newly created basic income support for needy persons is not earnings-related anymore. Pressure on unemployed to take up jobs has increased considerably while more persons than before have access to employment assistance. The paper also aims at a preliminary assessment of the effects of activating labour market policy on labour market as well as social outcomes and sets out probable paths of future adaptation." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||30 Jan 2007|
|Publication status:||published in: Eichhorst, Werner; Grienberger-Zingerle, Maria; Konle-Seidl, Regina: Bringing the jobless into work? Experiences with activation schemes in Europe and the US, p. 17-67|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regensburger Str. 104, D-90327 Nürnberg|
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacobi, Lena & Kluve, Jochen, 2006. "Before and After the Hartz Reforms: The Performance of Active Labour Market Policy in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 2100, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Koch, Susanne & Walwei, Ulrich, 2005. "Hartz IV: Geht die Reform zu weit oder noch nicht weit genug?," Wirtschaftsdienst – Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftspolitik (1949 - 2007), ZBW – German National Library of Economics / Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, vol. 85(7), pages 411-417.
- Jacobi, Lena & Kluve, Jochen, 2006. "Before and After the Hartz Reforms: The Performance of Active Labour Market Policy in Germany," RWI Discussion Papers 41, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Kemmerling, Achim & Bruttel, Oliver, 2005. "New politics in German labour market policy? The implications of the recent Hartz reforms for the German welfare state," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Labor Market Policy and Employment SP I 2005-101, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Karl Brenke, 2006. "Wachsender Niedriglohnsektor in Deutschland: sind Mindestlöhne sinnvoll?," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 73(15/16), pages 197-206.
- repec:zbw:rwidps:0041 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eichhorst, Werner, 2006. "Beschäftigung Älterer in Deutschland: Der unvollständige Paradigmenwechsel," IZA Discussion Papers 1985, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:200706. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.