Strike activity and centralisation in wage setting
"We test the theoretical claim that coordination and centralisation in wage setting reduce strike activity by estimating nonlinear regression models using a dataset of 17 OECD countries for the period 1972-2000. We find moderating effects of coordination on strike activity but the effects are not stable over time. Several means are employed to check for the robustness of our results. We compute bootstrapped standard errors, conduct nonlinear median regressions. A remaining problem of the study is that we cannot control completely for country-specific heterogeneity in the estimates of coordination and centralisation effects." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||23 Dec 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Booth, Alison L. & Bryan, Mark L., 2003.
"Training in Europe,"
IZA Discussion Papers
933, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Toke Aidt & Zafiris Tzannatos, 2002. "Unions and Collective Bargaining : Economic Effects in a Global Environment," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15241, November.
- Wolfgang Ochel & Markus Selwitschka, 2003. "Hoher Arbeitsfriede in Deutschland," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 56(08), pages 44-47, 04.
- Powell, James L., 1996. "Rescaled methods-of-moments estimation for the Box-Cox regression model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 259-265, June.
- Wilke, Ralf A. & Fitzenberger, Bernd & Zhang, Xuan, 2004.
"A Note on Implementing Box-Cox Quantile Regression,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-61, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Wilke, Ralf A. & Fitzenberger, Bernd & Zhang, Xuan, 2005. "A Note on Implementing Box-Cox Quantile Regression," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-61 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kennan, John & Wilson, Robert, 1990. "Can Strategic Bargaining Models Explain Collective Bargaining Data?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 405-09, May.
- Robert J. Flanagan, 1999. "Macroeconomic Performance and Collective Bargaining: An International Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1150-1175, September.
- Kennan, John & Wilson, Robert, 1989. "Strategic Bargaining Models and Interpretation of Strike Data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(S), pages S87-130, Supplemen.
- Kennan, J. & Wilson, R., 1991.
"Bargaining with Private Information,"
90-01rev, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Card, David, 1990. "Strikes and Wages: A Test of an Asymmetric Information Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(3), pages 625-59, August.
- Linda Babcock & George Loewenstein, 1997. "Explaining Bargaining Impasse: The Role of Self-Serving Biases," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 109-126, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:200522. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.