On the Dark Side of the Market: Identifying and Analyzing Hidden Order Placements
Trading under limited pre-trade transparency becomes increasingly popular on financial markets. We provide first evidence on tradersâ€™ use of (completely) hidden orders which might be placed even inside of the (displayed) bid-ask spread. Employing TotalView-ITCH data on order messages at NASDAQ, we propose a simple method to conduct statistical inference on the location of hidden depth and to test economic hypotheses. Analyzing a wide cross-section of stocks, we show that market conditions reflected by the (visible) bid-ask spread, (visible) depth, recent price movements and trading signals significantly affect the aggressiveness of â€™darkâ€™ liquidity supply and thus the â€™hidden spreadâ€™. Our evidence suggests that traders balance hidden order placements to (i) compete for the provision of (hidden) liquidity and (ii) protect themselves against adverse selection, front-running as well as â€™hidden order detection strategiesâ€™ used by high-frequency traders. Accordingly, our results show that hidden liquidity locations are predictable given the observable state of the market.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moinas, Sophie, 2010.
"Hidden Limit Orders and Liquidity in Order Driven Markets,"
IDEI Working Papers
600, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Moinas, Sophie, 2010. "Hidden Limit Orders and Liquidity in Order Driven Markets," TSE Working Papers 10-147, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Foucault, Thierry, 1999. "Order flow composition and trading costs in a dynamic limit order market1," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 99-134, May.
- Frey, Stefan & Sandås, Patrik, 2009. "The impact of iceberg orders in limit order books," CFR Working Papers 09-06, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Hautsch, Nikolaus & Huang, Ruihong, 2012.
"The market impact of a limit order,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 501-522.
- Hautsch, Nikolaus & Huang, Ruihong, 2009. "The market impact of a limit order," CFS Working Paper Series 2009/23, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Nikolaus Hautsch & Ruihong Huang, 2009. "The Market Impact of a Limit Order," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-051, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Easley, David & Kiefer, Nicholas M & O'Hara, Maureen, 1997. "One Day in the Life of a Very Common Stock," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 805-35.
- Rudy De Winne & Catherine D'hondt, 2007. "Hide-and-Seek in the Market: Placing and Detecting Hidden Orders," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 11(4), pages 663-692.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Panayides, Marios & Venkataraman, Kumar, 2009. "Hidden liquidity: An analysis of order exposure strategies in electronic stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 361-383, December.
- Anand, Amber & Weaver, Daniel G., 2004. "Can order exposure be mandated?," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 405-426, October.
- Michael J. Fleming & Bruce Mizrach, 2009.
"The microstructure of a U.S. Treasury ECN: the BrokerTec platform,"
381, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Michael Fleming & Bruce Mizrach, 2008. "The Microstructure of a U.S. Treasury ECN: The Brokertec Platform," Departmental Working Papers 200803, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Sabrina Buti & Barbara Rindi, 2011. "Undisclosed Orders and Optimal Submission Strategies in a Dynamic Limit Order Market," Working Papers 389, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Aitken, Michael J. & Berkman, Henk & Mak, Derek, 2001. "The use of undisclosed limit orders on the Australian Stock Exchange," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1589-1603, August.
- Parlour, Christine A, 1998. "Price Dynamics in Limit Order Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(4), pages 789-816.
- Esser, Angelika & Monch, Burkart, 2007. "The navigation of an iceberg: The optimal use of hidden orders," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 68-81, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2012-014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.