The Dawn of the Plastic Jungle: The Introduction of the Credit Card in Europe and North America, 1950-1975
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- BÃ¡tiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Haigh, Thomas & Stearns, David L., 2014.
"How the Future Shaped the Past: The Case of the Cashless Society,"
Enterprise & Society, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 103-131, March.
- Bernardo Bátiz-Lazo & Thomas Haigh & David L. Stearns, 2011. "How the Future Shaped the Past: The Case of the Cashless Society," Working Papers 11009, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Batiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Haigh, Thomas & stearns, David L., 2011. "How the Future Shaped the Past: The Case of the Cashless Society," MPRA Paper 34846, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Verdier, Marianne, 2006. "Retail Payment Systems: What can we Learn from Two-Sided Markets?," MPRA Paper 2606, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Liebowitz, S J & Margolis, Stephen E, 1990. "The Fable of the Keys," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(1), pages 1-25, April.
- Bell, Stephanie, 2001. "The Role of the State and the Hierarchy of Money," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 149-163, March.
- Andrew Mair, 1999. "Learning from Honda," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Bernardo Batiz-Lazo & Gustavo A. Del Angel, 2003. "Competitive collaboration and market contestability: cases in Mexican and UK banking, 1945-75," Accounting History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 339-368.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2002. "Cooperation Among Competitors: Some Economics Of Payment Card Associations," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(4), pages 549-570, Winter.
- BÃ¡tiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Wardley, Peter, 2007. "Banking on change: information systems and technologies in UK high street banking, 1919â€“1969," Financial History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 177-205, October.
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1991. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 50-81, March.
- Hannan, Timothy H & McDowell, John M, 1987. "Rival Precedence and the Dynamics of Technology Adoption: An Empirical Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(214), pages 155-171, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gustavo A. Del Angel, 2016. "Cashless Payments and the Persistence of Cash: Open Questions About Mexico," Economics Working Papers 16108, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
More about this item
KeywordsCredit card; payments; cashless; two sided markets; payment tolls; Bank of America; Barclays; Banamex; Bancomer; Banco de Bilbao; British banks; Mexican banks; Spanish banks;
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
- N1 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations
- N2 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions
- N8 - Economic History - - Micro-Business History
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-COM-2016-05-21 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HIS-2016-05-21 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-INO-2016-05-21 (Innovation)
- NEP-MAC-2016-05-21 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PAY-2016-05-21 (Payment Systems & Financial Technology)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hoo:wpaper:16107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/hostaus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.