The Dawn of the Plastic Jungle: The Introduction of the Credit Card in Europe and North America, 1950-1975
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- BÃ¡tiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Haigh, Thomas & Stearns, David L., 2014.
"How the Future Shaped the Past: The Case of the Cashless Society,"
Enterprise & Society, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 103-131, March.
- Bernardo Bátiz-Lazo & Thomas Haigh & David L. Stearns, 2011. "How the Future Shaped the Past: The Case of the Cashless Society," Working Papers 11009, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Batiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Haigh, Thomas & stearns, David L., 2011. "How the Future Shaped the Past: The Case of the Cashless Society," MPRA Paper 34846, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Verdier, Marianne, 2006. "Retail Payment Systems: What can we Learn from Two-Sided Markets?," MPRA Paper 2606, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Liebowitz, S J & Margolis, Stephen E, 1990. "The Fable of the Keys," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(1), pages 1-25, April.
- Zhu Wang & Fumiko Hayashi, 2011. "Product Innovation and Network Survival in the U.S. ATM and Debit Card Industry," 2011 Meeting Papers 725, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bell, Stephanie, 2001. "The Role of the State and the Hierarchy of Money," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 149-163, March.
- Andrew Mair, 1999. "Learning from Honda," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Bernardo Batiz-Lazo & Gustavo A. Del Angel, 2003. "Competitive collaboration and market contestability: cases in Mexican and UK banking, 1945-75," Accounting History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 339-368.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2002. "Cooperation Among Competitors: Some Economics Of Payment Card Associations," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(4), pages 549-570, Winter.
- BÃ¡tiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Wardley, Peter, 2007. "Banking on change: information systems and technologies in UK high street banking, 1919â€“1969," Financial History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 177-205, October.
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1991. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 50-81, March.
- Hannan, Timothy H & McDowell, John M, 1987. "Rival Precedence and the Dynamics of Technology Adoption: An Empirical Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(214), pages 155-171, May.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gustavo A. Del Angel, 2016. "Cashless Payments and the Persistence of Cash: Open Questions About Mexico," Economics Working Papers 16108, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Chakravorti Sujit, 2003.
"Theory of Credit Card Networks: A Survey of the Literature,"
Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-19, June.
- Sujit Chakravorti, 2003. "Theory of credit card networks: a survey of the literature," Consumer Finance Institute discussion papers 03-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Scholnick, Barry & Massoud, Nadia & Saunders, Anthony & Carbo-Valverde, Santiago & Rodríguez-Fernández, Francisco, 2008.
"The economics of credit cards, debit cards and ATMs: A survey and some new evidence,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1468-1483, August.
- Carbó Valverde Santiago & Massoud Nadia & Rodríguez-Fernández Francisco & Saunders Anthony & Scholnick Barry, 2007. "The Economics of Credit Cards, Debit Cards and ATMs: A Survey and Some New Evidence," Working Papers 201074, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Tanjim Hossain & Dylan Minor & John Morgan, 2011. "Competing Matchmakers: An Experimental Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(11), pages 1913-1925, November.
- Zinman, Jonathan, 2009. "Debit or credit?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 358-366, February.
- Akin, Guzin Gulsun & Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Borici, Denada & Yildiran, Levent, 2013. "Regulate one service, tame the entire market: Credit cards in Turkey," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1195-1204.
- Santiago Carbo-Valverde & Sujit Chakravorti & Francisco Rodriguez-Fernandez, 2009.
"Regulating two-sided markets: an empirical investigation,"
Working Paper Series
WP-09-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Carbó-Valverde, Santiago & Chakravorti, Sujit & Rodríguez Fernández, Francisco, 2009. "Regulating two-sided markets: an empirical investigation," Working Paper Series 1137, European Central Bank.
- Sumit Agarwal & Sujit Chakravorti & Anna Lunn, 2010. "Why do banks reward their customers to use their credit cards?," Working Paper Series WP-2010-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Wilko Bolt & Sujit Chakravorti, 2010. "Digitization of Retail Payment," DNB Working Papers 270, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Imaduddin Sahabat & Teguh Dartanto & Haidy A. Passay & Diah Widyawati, 2017. "Electronics Payment Decisions of the Indonesian Urban Households: A Nested Logit Analysis of the Effects of the Payment Characteristics," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 7(5), pages 498-511.
- Zhu Wang, 2010. "Regulating debit cards: the case of ad valorem fees," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, vol. 95(Q I), pages 71-93.
- Snellman, Heli, 2006. "Automated teller machine network market structure and cash usage," Scientific Monographs, Bank of Finland, number 2006_038.
- Thodenius, Björn & Batiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Karlsson, Tobias, 2010. "The history of the Swedish ATM - Sparfrämjandet and Metior," MPRA Paper 27083, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jonathan Zinman, 2004. "Why use debit instead of credit? Consumer choice in a trillion-dollar market," Staff Reports 191, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Wiebke Roß & Jens Weghake, 2018. "Wa(h)re Liebe: Was Online-Dating-Plattformen über zweiseitige Märkte lehren," TUC Working Papers in Economics 0017, Abteilung für Volkswirtschaftslehre, Technische Universität Clausthal (Department of Economics, Technical University Clausthal).
- Fumiko Hayashi, 2009. "Do U.S. consumers really benefit from payment card rewards?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, vol. 94(Q I), pages 37-63.
- Chul-Yong Lee & Jongsu Lee, 2009. "Demand Forecasting in the Early Stage of the Technology's Life Cycle Using Bayesian update," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200903, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Apr 2009.
- Christian Dahl Winther, 2007. "Optimal research effort and product differentiation in network industries," Economics Working Papers 2007-19, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Magnus Willesson, 2009. "Pricing of card payment services in Scandinavian banking," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(3), pages 387-399, March.
- Wilko Bolt, 2012. "Retail Payment Systems: Competition, Innovation, and Implications," DNB Working Papers 362, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Jo Michell, 2017.
"Do Shadow Banks Create Money? ‘Financialisation’ and the Monetary Circuit,"
Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(2), pages 354-377, May.
- Jo Michell, 2016. "Do shadow banks create money? 'Financialisation' and the monetary circuit," Working Papers PKWP1605, Post Keynesian Economics Society (PKES).
- Jo Michell, 2016. "Do shadow banks create money? 'Financialisation' and the monetary circuit," Working Papers 20161602, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
More about this item
KeywordsCredit card; payments; cashless; two sided markets; payment tolls; Bank of America; Barclays; Banamex; Bancomer; Banco de Bilbao; British banks; Mexican banks; Spanish banks;
All these keywords.
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
- N1 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations
- N2 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions
- N8 - Economic History - - Micro-Business History
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-COM-2016-05-21 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HIS-2016-05-21 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-INO-2016-05-21 (Innovation)
- NEP-MAC-2016-05-21 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PAY-2016-05-21 (Payment Systems & Financial Technology)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hoo:wpaper:16107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/hostaus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Webmaster (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/hostaus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.