The Fiscal Compact and Current Account Patterns in Europe
This paper shall give an overview of the implications to the sectoral balances stemming from the implementation of the Fiscal Compact in the Euro area in 2013. Since there is now a more or less strict limit to deficit spending-absent from cyclical factors-some other sector has to make up for the reduction of the financial deficit of Euro area gov- ernments. While applying sensible estimates on the trajectories of the sectoral balances in the Euro area, I reach the conclusion that the only logical outlet for these (potentially) reduced deficits would be the for- eign sector, reflecting the inability of the private sector to run a sizeable surplus of investments over savings over the long-run. Under the sce- nario described in the paper, the Euro area would run a considerable current account surplus in the foreseeable future.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katja Rietzler & Dieter Teichmann & Achim Truger, 2013. "IMK Steuerschätzung 2013-2017," IMK Report 81-2013, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- S. Bach & G. Baldi & K. Bernoth & J. Blazejczak & B. Bremer & J. Diekmann & D. Edler & B. Farkas & F. Fichtner & M. Fratzscher & M. Gornig & C. Kemfert & U. Kunert & H. Link & K. Neuhoff & W.-P. Schil, 2013. "Deutschland muss mehr in seine Zukunft investieren," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 80(26), pages 3-5.
- Robert N. McCauley & Guonan Ma, 2013.
"Global and Euro Imbalances: China and Germany,"
SUERF 50th Anniversary Volume Chapters,
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Sebastian Dullien & Mark Schieritz, 2011. "Die deutsche Investitionsschwäche: Die Mär von den Standortproblemen," Wirtschaftsdienst, Springer;German National Library of Economics, vol. 91(7), pages 458-464, July.
- Eckhard Hein & Achim Truger, 2013.
"Fiscal Policy and Rebalancing in the Euro Area: A Critique of the German Debt Brake from a Post-Keynesian Perspective,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_776, Levy Economics Institute.
- Eckhard Hein & Achim Truger, 2014. "Fiscal Policy and Rebalancing in the Euro Area: A Critique of the German Debt Brake from a Post-Keynesian Perspective," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 61(1), pages 21-38, Februar.
- Ruben V Atoyan & Jonathan F Manning & Jesmin Rahman, 2013. "Rebalancing; Evidence from Current Account Adjustment in Europe," IMF Working Papers 13/74, International Monetary Fund.
- Casadio, Paolo & Paradiso, Antonio, 2010. "Private sector balance, financial markets, and U.S. cycle: A SVAR analysis," MPRA Paper 28105, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wynne Godley & Gennaro Zezza, 2006. "Debt And Lending: A Cri De Coeur," Economics Policy Note Archive 06-4, Levy Economics Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hlj:hljwrp:52-2014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Fahrholz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.