Global and euro imbalances: China and Germany
We analyse global and euro area imbalances by focusing on China and Germany as large surplus and creditor countries. In the 2000s, domestic reforms in both countries expanded the effective labour force, restrained wages, shifted income towards profits and increased corporate saving. As a result, both economies' current account surpluses widened before the global financial crisis, and that of Germany has proven more persistent as domestic investment has remained subdued.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Helene Rey & Nicolas Govillot, 2010. "Exorbitant Privilege and Exorbitant Duty," IMES Discussion Paper Series 10-E-20, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Guonan Ma & Wang Yi, 2010.
"China’s High Saving Rate: Myth and Reality,"
CEPII research center, issue 122, pages 5-40.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 2012.
"Does the Current Account Still Matter?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006.
"The External Wealth of Nations Mark II; Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004,"
IMF Working Papers
06/69, International Monetary Fund.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2007. "The external wealth of nations mark II: Revised and extended estimates of foreign assets and liabilities, 1970-2004," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 223-250, November.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities,1970–2004," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp126, IIIS.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004," CEPR Discussion Papers 5644, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joshua Aizenman & Rajeswari Sengupta, 2011.
"Global Imbalances: Is Germany the New China? A Skeptical View,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 387-400, July.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Sengupta, Rajeswari, 2010. "Global Imbalances: Is Germany the new China? A Skeptical View," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt3zx245jn, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Sengupta, Rajeswari & Aizenman, Joshua, 2010. "Global imbalances: Is Germany the new China? A skeptical view," MPRA Paper 25578, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Salant, Stephen W & Henderson, Dale W, 1978. "Market Anticipations of Government Policies and the Price of Gold," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 627-48, August.
- Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, & Philip R. Lane, 2003.
"International Financial Integration,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Philip R. Lane & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2003. "International Financial Integration," IMF Working Papers 03/86, International Monetary Fund.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2003. "International Financial Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 3769, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & G.M. Milesi-Ferretti, 2003. "International Financial Integration," Trinity Economics Papers 20031, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Jorg Bibow, 2012. "The Euro Debt Crisis and Germany's Euro Trilemma," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_721, Levy Economics Institute.
- Hyun Song Shin, 2012. "Global Banking Glut and Loan Risk Premium," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 60(2), pages 155-192, July.
- Gros, Daniel & Mayer, Thomas, 2012. "A Sovereign Wealth Fund to Lift Germany’s Curse of Excess Savings," CEPS Papers 7229, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Guonan Ma & Robert McCauley & Lillie Lam, 2013. "The Roles of Saving, Investment and the Renminbi in Rebalancing the Chinese Economy," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 72-84, 02.
- Claudio Borio & Piti Disyatat, 2011. "Global imbalances and the financial crisis: Link or no link?," BIS Working Papers 346, Bank for International Settlements.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2002. "Current Account Deficits in the Euro Area: The End of the Feldstein Horioka Puzzle?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 33(2), pages 147-210.
- Stephanie E. Curcuru & Charles P. Thomas & Francis E. Warnock, 2013. "On returns differentials," International Finance Discussion Papers 1077, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stephanie E. Curcuru & Charles P. Thomas & Francis E. Warnock, 2013. "On Returns Differentials," NBER Working Papers 18866, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Curcuru, Stephanie E. & Thomas, Charles P. & Warnock, Francis E., 2013. "On returns differentials," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 1-25.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biswps:424. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.