Currency Substitution between Hong Kong Dollar and Renminbi in South China
This paper estimates the demand for the Hong Kong currency circulating in the Guangdong Province of China and Macau. The amount of Hong Kong Dollar circulating in the Guangdong (Macau) region is reckoned to be 7.4 (3.2) per cent of the total amount issued in Hong Kong. The estimated coefficients in the currency demand equation suggest that the Hong Kong currency in Guangdong is used mainly for transactions. Therefore, in spite of strong evidence of currency substitution of the renminbi with the Hong Kong dollar, its impact on the exchange rate and on the international reserves of Hong Kong during currency crisis should be minimal.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong|
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brian M. Doyle, 2000. ""Here, dollars, dollars ..."estimating currency demand and worldwide currency substitution," International Finance Discussion Papers 657, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Zervoyianni, Athina, 1992. "International macroeconomic interdependence, currency substitution, and price stickiness," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 59-86.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1998. "Blessing or curse? Foreign and underground demand for euro notes," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 261-303, 04.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1995. "Lag Order and Critical Values of the Augmented Dickey-Fuller Test," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 277-80, July.
- Cuddington, John T. & Cuddington, John T., 1983. "Currency substitution, capital mobility and money demand," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-133, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkm:wpaper:022001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.