The Internationalisation of Hong Kong Dollar: An Analytical Framework
This paper models the macroeconomic impact from the "internationalisation" of Hong Kong Dollar under the fixed and floating exchange rate regimes. A three-region model, the Centre, the Periphery and the Rest-of-the-World, is constructed. The present paper finds that, under floating exchange rates, foreign circulation of home currency increases the volatility of the home exchange rates. Under a fixed exchange rate, however, other than a more volatile level of reserves, foreign circulation has no macro impact on the home economy. This paper also finds that a broader global demand for home asset narrows the gap between domestic and foreign interest rates, which can subsequently lower the likelihood of self-fulfilling currency crisis.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yusuru Ozeki & George S. Tavlas, 1992. "The Internationalization of Currencies; An Appraisal of the Japanese Yen," IMF Occasional Papers 90, International Monetary Fund.
- Krugman, P., 1993. "What Do We Need to Know About the International Monetary System?," Princeton Studies in International Economics 190, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996.
"Models of Currency Crises with Self-fulfilling Features,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1315, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996. "Models of currency crises with self-fulfilling features," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1037-1047, April.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1995. "Models of Currency Crises with Self-Fulfilling Features," NBER Working Papers 5285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brian M. Doyle, 2000. ""Here, dollars, dollars ..."estimating currency demand and worldwide currency substitution," International Finance Discussion Papers 657, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Russell C. Krueger & Jiming Ha, 1995. "Measurement of Co-Circulation of Currencies," IMF Working Papers 95/34, International Monetary Fund.
- Bensaid, B.B. & Jeanne, O., 1995.
"The Instability of Fixed Exchange Rate Systems when Raising the Nominal Interest Rate is Costly,"
9536, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Bensaid, Bernard & Jeanne, Olivier, 1997. "The instability of fixed exchange rate systems when raising the nominal interest rate is costly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1461-1478, August.
- Case M. Sprenkle, 1993. "The Case of the Missing Currency," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(4), pages 175-184, Fall.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1983.
"Rules, Discretion and Reputation in a Model of Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
1079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Gordon, David B., 1983. "Rules, discretion and reputation in a model of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 101-121.
- Jeanne, Olivier, 1997. "Are currency crises self-fulfilling?: A test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 263-286, November.
- Richard D. Porter & Ruth A. Judson, 1996. "The location of U.S. currency: how much is abroad?," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 883-903.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkm:wpaper:012001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.