Proportional Nash solutions - A new and procedural analysis of nonconvex bargaining problems
This paper studies the Nash solution to nonconvex bargaining problems. The Nash solution in such a context is typically multi-valued. We introduce a procedure to exclude some options recommended by the Nash solution. The procedure is based on the idea of the Kalai-Smorodinsky solution which has the same informational requirement on individual utilities as the Nash solution does and has an equity consideration as well. We then use this procedure to introduce two new solutions to nonconvex bargaining problems and study them axiomatically.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.econ.hit-u.ac.jp/~cces/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Mariotti, 1998.
"Fair Bargains: Distributive Justice and Nash Bargaining Theory,"
Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics
98/16, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Feb 1998.
- Mariotti, Marco, 1999. "Fair Bargains: Distributive Justice and Nash Bargaining Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(3), pages 733-41, July.
- Peters Hans & Vermeulen Dries, 2006. "WPO, COV and IIA bargaining solutions," Research Memorandum 021, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Tadenuma, Koichi, 1998.
"Efficiency First or Equity First?: Two Principles and Rationality of Social Choice,"
1998-01, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Tadenuma, Koichi, 2002. "Efficiency First or Equity First? Two Principles and Rationality of Social Choice," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 462-472, June.
- Makoto Tanaka & Ryo-ichi Nagahisa, 2002. "An axiomatization of the Kalai-Smorodinsky solution when the feasible sets can be finite," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 751-761.
- Hammond, Peter J, 1976. "Equity, Arrow's Conditions, and Rawls' Difference Principle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 793-804, July.
- Herrero, Maria Jose, 1989. "The nash program: Non-convex bargaining problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 266-277, December.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Jose Apesteguia & Miguel A. Ballester, 2008.
"A Characterization of Sequential Rationalizability,"
345, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jose Apesteguia & Miguel A. Ballester, 2008. "A characterization of sequential rationalizability," Economics Working Papers 1089, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Lombardi, Michele & Yoshihara, Naoki, 2010.
"Alternative characterizations of the proportional solution for nonconvex bargaining problems with claims,"
Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 229-232, August.
- Michele Lombardi & Naoki Yoshihara, 2008. "Alternative Characterizations of the Proportional Solution for Nonconvex Bargaining Problems with Claims," Working Papers 632, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Lombardi, Michele & Yoshihara, Naoki, 2008. "Alternative Characterizations of the Proportional Solution for Nonconvex Bargaining Problems with Claims," Discussion Paper Series a501, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Conley, John P. & Wilkie, Simon, 1996. "An Extension of the Nash Bargaining Solution to Nonconvex Problems," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 26-38, March.
- Paola Manzini & Marco Mariotti, 2007. "Sequentially Rationalizable Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(5), pages 1824-1839, December.
- Lin Zhou, 1997. "The Nash Bargaining Theory with Non-Convex Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 681-686, May.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1971. "Choice Functions and Revealed Preference," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(115), pages 307-17, July.
- Paola Manzini & Marco Mariotti, 2006. "Two-stage Bargaining Solutions," Working Papers 572, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Marco Mariotti, 1998. "Nash bargaining theory when the number of alternatives can be finite," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 413-421.
- Xu, Yongsheng & Yoshihara, Naoki, 2006. "Alternative characterizations of three bargaining solutions for nonconvex problems," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 86-92, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:ccesdp:42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.