Sitting on the fence: does having a ‘dual-director’ add to bank profitability?
This paper investigates how combining positions between the board of directors and top-management affects bank profitability. We use 2010 bank-level data from 112 countries. Our results suggest that combining positions reduces both ROE and ROA of banks. However, for banks in developing countries, the influence proves to be positive. We also show that the higher the proportion of the board members who simultaneously hold a managerial position, the lower the profitability of the bank. This effect is observed both for developed and developing countries
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in WP BRP Series: Financial Economics / FE, August 2013, pages 1-23|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Myasnitskaya 20, Moscow 101000|
Web page: http://www.hse.ru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yeh, Yin-Hua & Woidtke, Tracie, 2005. "Commitment or entrenchment?: Controlling shareholders and board composition," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1857-1885, July.
- Eralp Bektas & Turhan Kaymak, 2009. "Governance Mechanisms and Ownership in an Emerging Market: The Case of Turkish Banks," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(6), pages 20-32, November.
- John Griffith & Lawrence Fogelberg & H. Weeks, 2002. "CEO ownership, corporate control, and bank performance," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 26(2), pages 170-183, June.
- Polina Savchenko & Maria Semenova, 2013.
"Sitting on the fence: does having a ‘dual-director’ add to bank profitability?,"
HSE Working papers
WP BRP 16/FE/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Savchenko, P. & Semenova, M., 2013. "Sitting on the Fence: Does Having a "Dual-Director" Add to Bank Profitability?," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 12-32.
- Maria Semenova & Polina Savchenko, 2015. "Sitting on the fence: does having a 'dual-director' add to bank profitability?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(8), pages 654-657, May.
- Berger, Allen N. & Kick, Thomas & Schaeck, Klaus, 2012.
"Executive board composition and bank risk taking,"
03/2012, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Claessens, Stijn & Yurtoglu, B. Burcin, 2013. "Corporate governance in emerging markets: A survey," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(C), pages 1-33.
- Pi, Lynn & Timme, Stephen G., 1993. "Corporate control and bank efficiency," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 515-530, April.
- Mohamed Belkhir, 2009. "Board structure, ownership structure and firm performance: evidence from banking," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(19), pages 1581-1593.
- Webb Cooper, Elizabeth, 2009. "Monitoring and governance of private banks," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 253-264, May.
- Brickley, James A. & Coles, Jeffrey L. & Jarrell, Gregg, 1997. "Leadership structure: Separating the CEO and Chairman of the Board," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 189-220, June.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hig:wpaper:16/fe/2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamil Abdulaev)or (Victoria Elkina)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.