Patient choice in the post-Semashko health care system
The opportunity for patient choice in the health care system in CIS countries was created by the partial destruction of the referral system and the development of paid medical services. The data of two population surveys conducted in Russia in 2009 and 2011 show that patient choice of medical facility and physician is taking place in the post-Semashko health care system, and it is not restricted to the area of paid medical services. However for the majority of population the choice of medical facility and physician is not a necessity. Part of reason for patient choice is caused by the failure of the patient referral system to ensure the necessary treatment. For some Russian citizens, the choice of health care provider is a means to obtain better quality care, and in this respect the enhancement of patient choice is leading to the improved efficiency of the emerging health care system.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in WP BRP Series: Public Administration / PA, December 2013, pages 1-29|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.hse.ru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zeynep Or & Chantal Cases & Melanie Lisac & Karsten Vrangbaek & Ulrika Winblad & Gwyn Bevan, 2009.
"Are Health Problems Systemic? Politics of Access and Choice under Beveridge and Bismarck Systems,"
DT27, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Sep 2009.
- Or, Zeynep & Cases, Chantal & Lisac, Melanie & Vrangbæk, Karsten & Winblad, Ulrika & Bevan, Gwyn, 2010. "Are health problems systemic? Politics of access and choice under Beveridge and Bismarck systems," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(03), pages 269-293, July.
- Bevan, Gwyn & van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M., 2010. "Choice of providers and mutual healthcare purchasers: can the English National Health Service learn from the Dutch reforms?," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(03), pages 343-363, July.
- Wübker, Ansgar & Sauerland, Dirk & Wübker, Achim, 2008. "Does better information about hospital quality affect patients’ choice? Empirical findings from Germany," MPRA Paper 10479, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 09 Sep 2008.
- Fotaki, Marianna, 2006. "Users' perceptions of health care reforms: Quality of care and patient rights in four regions in the Russian Federation," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(6), pages 1637-1647, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hig:wpaper:09/pa/2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamil Abdulaev)or (Victoria Elkina)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.