The Importance of Sickness Benefits Rights for a Comparison of Wages
In a total wage concept we include fringe benefits and earnings-related insurance rights, in addition to money wage. Sickness benefit rights are an important part of insurance rights in many industrial countries. In this paper we analyse sickness benefit insurance rights and estimate their importance compared to money wage, as well as for wage differentials and wage dispersion for Sweden. The estimation of money value for the sickness benefit rights requires data on absences due to sickness, data not readily available since the first part of a sickness period is handled by the employer. Data from registers and interview data from different surveys are combined in order to describe sickness behaviour and sickness remuneration of different occupational groups.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: SOFI, Stockholm University, SE-10691 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: (0)8 - 16 32 48
Fax: (0)8 - 15 46 70
Web page: http://www.sofi.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blundell, Richard & Macurdy, Thomas, 1999.
"Labor supply: A review of alternative approaches,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 27, pages 1559-1695
- Johansson, Per & Palme, Marten, 1996. "Do economic incentives affect work absence? Empirical evidence using Swedish micro data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 195-218, February.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Persson, Mats, 2001.
"The Effects on Sick Leave of Changes in the Sickness Insurance System,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
0444, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 08 Aug 2001.
- Magnus Henrekson & Mats Persson, 2004. "The Effects on Sick Leave of Changes in the Sickness Insurance System," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(1), pages 87-114, January.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Persson, Mats, 2001. "The Effects on Sick Leave of Changes in the Sickness Insurance System," Seminar Papers 697, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Per Johansson & Kurt Brafinnafis, 1998. "A household model for work absence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(11), pages 1493-1503.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sofiwp:2002_001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lena Lindahl)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.