The medical doctors as gatekeepers in the sickness insurance?
Based on a randomized experiment, we estimate effects from notification to medical doctors of tighter monitoring of their Medical Certificates (MCs). Both the time prescribed by the doctor certificates for sick leave (prescribed sick leave) and the impact on the length of the actual sickness absence (actual sick leave) is studied. We find no effect on the total number of prescribed sick leave days. However, we do find an increase in both prescribed and actual sick leave with a 25% work inability. We also find that the notification letter causes an increase in actual sick leave (i.e. the number of reimbursed sick days). We discuss a number of potential explanations for this rather surprising result.
Volume (Year): 44 (2012)
Issue (Month): 28 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansson, Per & Palme, Marten, 2005. "Moral hazard and sickness insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(9-10), pages 1879-1890, September.
- Hesselius, Patrik & Johansson, Per & Nilsson, Peter, 2009.
"Sick of Your Colleagues' Absence?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3960, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Henrekson, Magnus & Persson, Mats, 2001.
"The Effects on Sick Leave of Changes in the Sickness Insurance System,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
0444, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 08 Aug 2001.
- Magnus Henrekson & Mats Persson, 2004. "The Effects on Sick Leave of Changes in the Sickness Insurance System," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(1), pages 87-114, January.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Persson, Mats, 2001. "The Effects on Sick Leave of Changes in the Sickness Insurance System," Seminar Papers 697, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Palme, Mårten & Persson, Mats, 2007.
"Social Interaction and Sickness Absence,"
Working Paper Series
725, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Palme, Mårten & Persson, Mats, 2009. "Social Interaction and Sickness Absence," Research Papers in Economics 2009:4, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Assar Lindbeck & Marten Palme & Mats Persson, 2008. "Social Interaction and Sickness Absence," CESifo Working Paper Series 2215, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:44:y:2012:i:28:p:3615-3625. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.