A homothetic reference technology in Data Envelopment Analysis
The assumption of a homothetic production function is often maintained in production economics. In this paper we explore the possibility of maintaining homotheticity within a nonparametric DEA framework. The main contribution of this paper is to use the approach suggested by Hanoch and Rothschild in 1972 to define a homothetic reference technology. We focus on the largest subset of data points that is consistent with such a homothetic production function. We use the HR-approach to define a piecewise linear homothetic convex reference technology. We propose this reference technology with the purpose of adding structure to the flexible non-parametric BCC DEA estimator. Motivation for why such additional structure sometimes is warranted is provided. An estimation procedure derived from the BCC-model and from a maintained assumption of homotheticity is proposed. The performance of the estimator is analyzed using simulation.
|Date of creation:||14 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 65 50 32 33
Fax: 65 50 32 37
Web page: http://www.sdu.dk/ivoe
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanoch, Giora & Rothschild, Michael, 1972. "Testing the Assumptions of Production Theory: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 256-75, March-Apr.
- Kneip, Alois & Park, Byeong U. & Simar, L opold, 1998. "A Note On The Convergence Of Nonparametric Dea Estimators For Production Efficiency Scores," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 783-793, December.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2002. "Non-parametric tests of returns to scale," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 115-132, May.
- Primont, Daniel & Primont, Diane, 1994. "Homothetic non-parametric production models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 191-195, June.
- Olesen, Ole B. & Ruggiero, John, 2012. "Maintaining the Regular Ultra Passum Law in data envelopment analysis," Discussion Papers of Business and Economics 2/2012, Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sdueko:2012_014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lene Holbæk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.