Testing Common Nonlinear Features in Nonlinear Vector Autoregressive Models
This paper studies a special class of vector smooth-transition autoregressive (VS- TAR) models containing common nonlinear features (CNFs). To test the existence of CNFs in a VSTAR model, a triangular representation for such a system containing CNFs is proposed. A procedure of testing CNFs in a VSTAR model is consisting of two steps: rst, test unit root in a STAR model against a stable STAR process for each individual time series; secondly, examine if nonlinear features are common in the system by a La- grange Multiplier (LM) test when the null of unit root is rejected in the rst step. The asymptotic distribution of the LM test is derived. Simulation studies of both unit root test and LM test have been carried out to investigate the nite sample properties. In the empirical application, the procedure of testing CNFs is illustrated by analyzing the monthly growth of consumption and income data of United States (1985:1 to 2011:11). The consumption and income system contains CNFs, and an estimated common nonlin- ear factor in VSTAR model is suggested.
|Date of creation:||13 Feb 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Örebro University School of Business, SE - 701 82 ÖREBRO, Sweden|
Phone: 019-30 30 00
Fax: 019-33 25 46
Web page: http://www.oru.se/Institutioner/Handelshogskolan-vid-Orebro-universitet/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Kozicki, Sharon, 1993.
"Testing for Common Features,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 11(4), pages 369-380, October.
- Perron, P., 1989.
"Testing For A Unit Root In A Time Series With A Changing Mean,"
347, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1990. "Testing for a Unit Root in a Time Series with a Changing Mean," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 153-162, April.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993.
"A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "SWDOLS: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using dynamic OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00207, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Eitrheim, Øyvind & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1995.
"Testing the Adequacy of Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
56, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Eitrheim, Oyvind & Terasvirta, Timo, 1996. "Testing the adequacy of smooth transition autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 59-75, September.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, December.
- Engle, Robert F & Kozicki, Sharon, 1993. "Testing for Common Features: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(4), pages 393-395, October.
- Anderson, Heather M. & Vahid, Farshid, 1998. "Testing multiple equation systems for common nonlinear components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 1-36, May.
- Changli He & Timo Terasvirta & Andres Gonzalez, 2009.
"Testing Parameter Constancy in Stationary Vector Autoregressive Models Against Continuous Change,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(1-3), pages 225-245.
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo & González, Andres, 2002. "Testing parameter constancy in stationary vector autoregressive models against continuous change," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 507, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 06 May 2004.
- Changli He & Rickard Sandberg, 2006. "Dickey-Fuller Type of Tests against Nonlinear Dynamic Models," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(s1), pages 835-861, December.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Granger, C W J & Swanson, Norman, 1996. "Future Developments in the Study of Cointegrated Variables," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(3), pages 537-553, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:oruesi:2012_007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.