Challenges for the construction of historical price indices: The case of Norway, 1777-1920
This paper reviews some methodological and practical problems encountered in the construction of historical price indices. The underlying data sets in such studies are often characterized by heterogenous and incomplete price series. It is shown that by using the repeat sales method for constructing the subindices for individual commodity groups some of the main problems can be overcome. The procedures are illustrated by material from the construction of monthly price indices for Norway from the year 1777 to 1920. The price indices shed new light on two great wartime in ationary episodes in Norway: 1807-1817 and 1913-1920. In spite of a 61-fold increase in the price level in the rst period and a 4-fold increase in the second, it is found that, after in ation had been brought under control, prices reverted to a level consistent with the purchasing power parity principle.
|Date of creation:||05 Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NHH, Department of Economics, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway|
Phone: +47 55 959 277
Fax: 5595 9100
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/sam/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan M. Taylor, 2002.
"A Century Of Purchasing-Power Parity,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 139-150, February.
- Smith, R Todd, 1992. "The Cyclical Behavior of Prices," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(4), pages 413-30, November.
- zmucur, S leyman & Pamuk, Sevket, 2002. "Real Wages And Standards Of Living In The Ottoman Empire, 1489 1914," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 62(02), pages 293-321, June.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
NBER Working Papers
2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-37, March.
- David S. Jacks, 2010.
"Foreign Wars, Domestic Markets: England, 1793-1815,"
NBER Working Papers
16236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacks, David S., 2011. "Foreign wars, domestic markets: England, 1793–1815," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(02), pages 277-311, August.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994.
"Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
4952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Perspectives on PPP and long-run real exchange rates," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 32, pages 1647-1688 Elsevier.
- Ken Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, . "Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates," Working Paper 32027, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Barry Eichengreen, 1992.
"Golden Fetters: The Gold Standard and the Great Depression, 1919-1939,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number eich92-1, June.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1996. "Golden Fetters: The Gold Standard and the Great Depression, 1919-1939," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195101133, May.
- Jacks, David S., 2006. "What drove 19th century commodity market integration?," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 383-412, July.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A., 1982. "The 1807–1809 Embargo Against Great Britain," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(02), pages 291-308, June.
- Hali J. Edison & Jan Tore Klovland, 1983.
"A quantitative reassessment of the purchasing power parity hypothesis : evidence from Norway and the United Kingdom,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
231, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edison, Hali J & Klovland, Jan Tore, 1987. "A Quantitative Reassessment of the Purchasing Power Parity Hypothesis: Evidence from Norway and the United Kingdom," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(4), pages 309-33, October.
- Kevin H. O'Rourke, 2006.
"War and Welfare: Britain, France and the United States 1807-14,"
Trinity Economics Papers
tep2008, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Kevin H.O'Rourke, 2006. "War and Welfare: Britain, France and the United States 1807-14," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp119, IIIS.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Peter M. Solar & Jan Tore Klovland, 2011. "New series for agricultural prices in London, 1770–1914," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 64(1), pages 72-87, February.
- Litterman, Robert B, 1983.
"A Random Walk, Markov Model for the Distribution of Time Series,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 1(2), pages 169-73, April.
- Robert B. Litterman, 1983. "A random walk, Markov model for the distribution of time series," Staff Report 84, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Tom Doan, . "DISAGGREGATE: RATS procedure to implement general disaggregation (interpolation/distribution) procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00050, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "CHOWLIN: RATS procedure to distribute a series to a higher frequency using related series," Statistical Software Components RTS00036, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Federico, Giovanni, 2011. "When did European markets integrate?," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(01), pages 93-126, April.
- Klovland, Jan T., 1998. "Monetary policy and business cycles in the interwar years: The Scandinavian experience," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 309-344, December.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- O Rourke, Kevin H, 2006. "The worldwide economic impact of the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, 1793 1815," Journal of Global History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 123-149, March.
- Hoover, Ethel D., 1958. "Wholesale and Retail Prices in the Nineteenth Century," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 298-316, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nhheco:2014_005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dagny Hanne Kristiansen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.