Testing for Structural Breaks in the Presence of Data Perturbations: Impacts and Wavelet Based Improvements
This paper investigates how classical measurement error and additive outliers influence tests for structural change based on F-statistics. We derive theoretically the impact of general additive disturbances in the regressors on the asymptotic distribution of these tests for structural change . The small sample properties in the case of classical measurement error and additive outliers are investigated via Monte Carlo simulations, revealing that sizes are biased upwards and that powers are reduced. Two wavelet based denoising methods are used to reduce these distortions. We show that these two methods can significantly improve the performance of structural break tests.
|Date of creation:||11 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1991.
"Large shocks, small shocks, and economic fluctuations: outliers in macroeconomic times series,"
9101, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1994. "Large Shocks, Small Shocks, and Economic Fluctuations: Outliers in Macroeconomic Time Series," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 181-200, April-Jun.
- Patrick M. Crowley, 2005.
"An intuitive guide to wavelets for economists,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Tom Doan, . "REGHBREAK: RATS procedure to perform structural break test with bootstrapped p-values," Statistical Software Components RTS00176, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "APGRADIENTTEST: RATS procedure to perform Andrews-Ploberger Structural Break Test for GARCH/Maximum Likelihood," Statistical Software Components RTS00007, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "APBREAKTEST: RATS procedure to implement Andrews-Ploberger Structural Break Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00006, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dukpa Kim & Pierre Perron, 2006.
"Assessing the Relative Power of Structural Break Tests Using a Framework Based on the Approximate Bahadur Slope,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2006-063, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Kim, Dukpa & Perron, Pierre, 2009. "Assessing the relative power of structural break tests using a framework based on the approximate Bahadur slope," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 149(1), pages 26-51, April.
- Ramazan Gencay & Nikola Gradojevic, 2009. "Errors-in-Variables Estimation with No Instruments," Working Paper Series 30_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2009.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2002. "An Introduction to Wavelets for Economists," Working Papers 02-3, Bank of Canada.
- Schennach, Susanne M., 2004. "Exponential specifications and measurement error," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 85-91, October.
- Iain Johnstone & Bernard W. Silverman, . "EbayesThresh: R Programs for Empirical Bayes Thresholding," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(i08).
- Paulo M.M. Rodrigues & Antonio Rubia, 2010.
"The Effects of Additive Outliers and Measurement Errors when Testing for Structural Breaks in Variance,"
w201011, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Paulo M. M. Rodrigues & Antonio Rubia, 2011. "The Effects of Additive Outliers and Measurement Errors when Testing for Structural Breaks in Variance," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(4), pages 449-468, 08.
- van Bergeijk, Peter A G, 1995. "The Accuracy of International Economic Observations," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Davidson, Russell, 2009. "Econometric Theory and Methods: International Edition," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195391053, March.
- Bound, John & Brown, Charles & Mathiowetz, Nancy, 2001. "Measurement error in survey data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 59, pages 3705-3843 Elsevier.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992.
"Testing for parameter instability in linear models,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 517-533, August.
- Tom Doan, . "STABTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's stability test for OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00199, Boston College Department of Economics.
- John G. Cragg, 1994. "Making Good Inferences from Bad Data," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(4), pages 776-800, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lunewp:2013_036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.